Sign in to follow this  

Crank replacement on '03 WR

2003 WR250F, runs really good, but is really noisey motor wise. Took it to one of the few local mechanics who I truely trust. Thinks that the crank may be a bit bent. He showed me the cams and crank gear, and they have some very unusual wear on the crank gear and the cams themselves, goves/wear on both side of the teeth. Never seen something like that before.

Background on the bike. I got if off a guy in OH, who sucked a bunch of mucky water/mud into the motor. I'm believing he tried to start it (e-start or kick), and may have had water in the cylinder. I'm pretty sure that can bend a crank or rod, or at least not be good. He cleaned the motor out, and replaced the cam chain, piston, and rings. When I got it, all I had to do was lap the flywheel, replace the woodruff key, and have the valves adjusted. It's always run really good, it just has a real rattely sound to the motor in unison with the RPM's.

How tough is it to split cases on these bikes? I have torn down to the cylinder, and am comfortable with top end stuff, just not sure about the bottom end. Been told it's really pretty straight forward, just take pics and follow the manual. I'm looking at $1000 in parts, and $800 in labor. I'm fairly mechaniclly inclined, and was just curious as to if this should be something I can do myself, or just pay out and have it done by someone who can do it faster, and with some for of a short term guarantee.

Bummer, my girlfriend really want's her bike back :thumbsup: .

Thanks

He showed me the cams and crank gear, and they have some very unusual wear on the crank gear and the cams themselves, goves/wear on both side of the teeth.

wear on the lower cam chain gear is not accually uncommon.

do you know about how many hours on on this machine?

I'm looking at $1000 in parts, and $800 in labor. I'm fairly mechaniclly inclined, and was just curious as to if this should be something I can do myself, or just pay out and have it done by someone who can do it faster, and with some for of a short term guarantee.

i don't think it'll be $1000 for parts. what did you say "needs" to be replaced, i'll run a few numbers for you :thumbsup:

The wear I saw on the crank gear and cams does have me a bit worried. So, looks like I need...

Crank Assby

2 X Cams (I think Hot Cams are actually cheaper than OEM)

Cam Chain

Cam Case Barings

Pison Rod/Clip

Gasket Kit

It think that's the main stuff. I'll have to call TT store and see about what parts they have.

Thanks!

The wear I saw on the crank gear and cams does have me a bit worried. So, looks like I need...

Crank Assby

2 X Cams (I think Hot Cams are actually cheaper than OEM)

Cam Chain

Cam Case Barings

Pison Rod/Clip

Gasket Kit

It think that's the main stuff. I'll have to call TT store and see about what parts they have.

Thanks!

you could get hotcams, but the cam does not come with auto decompression, unfortunity

man my spelling is off today, i don't feel good, sorry guys