Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Set Up

I have looked throught he forum search and still have not found anything. I am looking to set up my suspension on my bike and don't quite know where to start. I stats are 6' 3" 230.........right now all I have really done is adjust the rear a little stiffer by cranking down the collar a bit.

set the sag, and free sag.

you do this by sitting on the bike and measureing how much it moves when you sit on it. if the shock rates are similair(between mine and yours), you'll need a new spring if you want to have the proper rider sag and free sag.

when you sit on the bike, in a normal position, you want between 110 and 100 mm's of travel.

"rider" sag = 100-110 mm

when you get off the bike, you want it to sag 30mm from its full upright position.

"free" sag = 30mm

if its more/less, you need to change sprinds accordingly :thumbsup:

you can stiffin the whole stroke of the forks by turning the set screw in the bottom of the fork. also, becuase your a bigger guy(i am too) you might want to add 10cc of fork fluid or so to help your forks bottoming resistance.

i am no expert, i just did the above(except buying a new spring) and its now a whole different animal.

good luck :ride:

I think I have really messed with something I know absolutely nothing about. It sounds to me (from what you are saying) is that I might have the suspension too rigid in the back, it doesn't move when its under its own weight off the stand. I will start over from factory settings, or close to it, and use your advise from there. I appreciate the great info and I will let you know how it turns out if you like. :thumbsup:

yes please :thumbsup:

my bike is the same right now, it has zero free sag, i guess i need to loose some weight or get a new spring.

i don't intend on having the bike next year, and our season is almost over, so i'm leaving it.

at 230lbs, you have the WRONG springs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you need a new shock spring and new fork springs. period!

Ok................if I need new fork springs and a new shock spring the what rating should the new ones be for??