Sign in to follow this  

Leaking case fixed!

Some of you may remember I bought a bike that looked good but had a cracked case. The guy had tried to repair it with some JB Weld type stuff. I took the bike out for one ride on a 100F day and the stuff delaminated from teh case and started dripping oil to the tune of about 1 drop every 5 seconds.

Got a quote on new case halves, a quote on pulling the cases and tigging them, some other shop mentioned using aluminum brazing rods and one last guy recommened trying Cotronics Durabond 7025 1000F aluminum/ceramic stuff.

I reluctantly called and talked to the company which is in Brooklyn, NY. This stuff is a two part mix (one part is powdered aluminum and ceramic and the other part is a binder). It is even castable to create aluminum parts from molds which are machinable and have a tensile strength very near billet aluminum with a constant temp rating of 1000F. Well, I had to give it a try for $40.

Surface prep is the key of course so I spent damn near an hour on that. Mix the two parts to spec to create a paste, spread on, let cure to 24 hours at room temp, cure if for another two hours at 200F (used a ceramic heater) and you are good to go.

Took the bike out for a 100 mile ride yesterday and nary a drop of oil. Fully heat cycled back down overnight and still dry. This stuff may be the real deal. I will still, however, pull the motor in the fall and send it to Jesse for a real case repair and get the big bore kit while I'm at it.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Mike O.

I have herd that is good stuff.

Now I would get a skid plate to make sure a rock don't fly up and hit the area. I think parts411.com has a moose for like $67 with free shipping. You have to call them to get the deal.

Some of you may remember I bought a bike that looked good but had a cracked case. The guy had tried to repair it with some JB Weld type stuff. I took the bike out for one ride on a 100F day and the stuff delaminated from teh case and started dripping oil to the tune of about 1 drop every 5 seconds.

Got a quote on new case halves, a quote on pulling the cases and tigging them, some other shop mentioned using aluminum brazing rods and one last guy recommened trying Cotronics Durabond 7025 1000F aluminum/ceramic stuff.

I reluctantly called and talked to the company which is in Brooklyn, NY. This stuff is a two part mix (one part is powdered aluminum and ceramic and the other part is a binder). It is even castable to create aluminum parts from molds which are machinable and have a tensile strength very near billet aluminum with a constant temp rating of 1000F. Well, I had to give it a try for $40.

Surface prep is the key of course so I spent damn near an hour on that. Mix the two parts to spec to create a paste, spread on, let cure to 24 hours at room temp, cure if for another two hours at 200F (used a ceramic heater) and you are good to go.

Took the bike out for a 100 mile ride yesterday and nary a drop of oil. Fully heat cycled back down overnight and still dry. This stuff may be the real deal. I will still, however, pull the motor in the fall and send it to Jesse for a real case repair and get the big bore kit while I'm at it.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Mike O.

what part of ct are you from??? did the kid cough up some dough???

I've been following your thread (with frustration for you), and I'm happy to hear that you're up and running. I hope it stays that way.

Ride safe.

The kid coughed up $2000. So, I'm into it now for $1200 plus the cost of this winter's rebuild and case repair by Jesse.

I'm in Seymour, CT.

Mike O.