Sign in to follow this  

Best bike for a Big guy??

I ride enduros, trails, hill climbs (stonyford mostly) and currently ride an 03 RM 250. I have ridden 2 strokes my whole life and I think it is time to change to a 4 stroke. I am 6'1" 260 pounds and I always wind up clutching the bike to much on long steep uphills. I am thinking of an RMZ 450 or a YZ 450. I have tried the WR and it is just too heavy and not snappy enough for me. Maybe I should just lose weight, but it is probably easier to buy a bigger bike...

although its probably EASIER to buy a new bike, its probably BETTER to lose weight. Although i dont weigh as much as you, i was still 230. Im 6'6 200 now. My doctor put me on a diet, and after losing those 30 pounds, my bike feels like a whole new world. its a cr250. So, i would suggest just losing wieght (unless this is your excuse to get a new bike, lol). Even if its just 30 pounds, im sure it would help, cause then you would be down to 230, adn that is what i was at, and my bike was fine. GOod luck

If you are more into off road i would go with a Green sticker bike like a 450X or the WR450. Just curious, was the WR you rode in stock form. WR's need to be uncorked for you to get any power out of them.The 450 X has alot more power out of the box than the WR. I have been researching this too.I am coming off an 01 CR250. I will be going with the X, I personally like the way the X feels and handles better than the WR. I am kind of a big guy too at 225lbs and the X carried me just fine.Now i just need to get the CR sold.

The WR was an 03, it had a power bomb and aftermarket exhaust. It had the pull power and can pull me up the hills and I could lug it down as well, it just was not snappy enough and felt way too heavy. It did have an electric start... The only thing that concerns me a little is that the gearing might be too tall on the RMZ 450. I can change the gearing enough to fix it I think. I think with the YZ or RMZ it will be a little more nimble in the real tight stuff and have the power to fly up any hill climb. The other problem I run into here in CA is the elevation changes and my 2 stroke is jetting sensitive it seems...

i'm not a big guy...i'm a fat guy..6' 300lbs....i ride a 2000 kx500, and a 1999 husqvarna te610(for sale)...and they both rip...don't lose weight, you just need more cc's than lbs :thumbsup:...u might try the 300 ktm, or is it a 380?...supposed to be good bikes, but i wouldn't trade my 5hundo for the world, it does everything

theres a ktm 300 AND 380 (or is it a 360?) ether way, theres both of those. Ive ridden a 300 and at the time it seemed way fast (that was when i was riding on my 125). but now that i have my 250, you can BARELY tell the difference.

I'm 6-5, 275 and my WR450 hauls my fat ass everywhere. I know what you mean about being a little heavy, though. As my skills improve I feel the need for a lighter machine. My last bike was a Husky 350 2 stroke. That also had tons of power and was as light as a 250, but it was getting old. If I had it to do again, I'd get the YZ450.

I think I will lose a little weight and probably go for the YZ or RMZ. Then I can at least occasionally ride the track in the summer months to stay in riding shape. :thumbsup:

YZ450F or CRF450R for sure, any big bike will work for ya (250 2-Stroke or 450F) you will never use all the power they produce, just get suspension setup for you're weight.

Let me give you some first hand information.

First off. I've been riding for 40 years. So I've gone through a few bikes.

Fast forward to the past 4 years.

I was riding a KX 250 in my 40s and loved it, "BUT" I felt like I was having to work to hard. My other OFG friends. ( old fat guy ) all were riding 450s and kept telling me I needed to do the same. But I didn't want to admit that I was getting to the point where I needed that extra edge. And loved two strokes because thats all I've ever ridden ( dirt bikes that is ). But finally gave in and bought my RM-Z450. This bike made riding much smoother for me. Which at the end of the day. I found that I wasn't as tired as I was with my 2 stroke. But the 4 speed tranny just didn't quite get it for me. So I went ahead and sold it and got the 06 450X. So far I'm loving the 5 speed tranny, and the electric start. To us OFG's it's a big +.

The RM-Z450 would not be my recommendation for you, unless you plan to ride it on the track primarily.

As a fellow big bike guy. I would recommend either the WR450 or the CRF450X. They both have wide ratio tranny's and electric starts. For trail riding. You will be glad you made this a priority when deciding on which bike to choose. Once you go 4 stroke, you wont miss the 2 stroke.

Signed, 6'2 250pnds. 49 yrs young. :thumbsup:

I think KTM 525 would be the best bet 4 ya!!! those extra 75 cc's will help u out in a lot of stituation compare to 450! And YZ450F is more of a track bike whereas ktm525 is more setup 4 the desert!

I think KTM 525 would be the best bet 4 ya!!! those extra 75 cc's will help u out in a lot of stituation compare to 450! And YZ450F is more of a track bike whereas ktm525 is more setup 4 the desert!

They didn't make the 525SX for '07 did they? I take it they weren't selling to hot? I know they still make the EXC or whatever, trail bike one.

Being a BFG (big fat guy) myself 6'2" - 310 LBS, i ride a '99 XR650l & a '03 CRF450R (RESPRUNG OFCOARSE) I think a 450 is the ticket, weight loss is overated-lol, actually my dr. said my cholesterol is a little hi & i need to loose weight also, so i'm looking foward to riding at around 250lbs, someday :thumbsup:

Being a BFG (big fat guy) myself 6'2" - 310 LBS, i ride a '99 XR650l & a '03 CRF450R (RESPRUNG OFCOARSE) I think a 450 is the ticket, weight loss is overated-lol, actually my dr. said my cholesterol is a little hi & i need to loose weight also, so i'm looking foward to riding at around 250lbs, someday :thumbsup:

You are BIG fella.

They didn't make the 525SX for '07 did they? I take it they weren't selling to hot? I know they still make the EXC or whatever, trail bike one.

I hevent been following KTM models lately because they have so many of them :thumbsup: My uncle has 2005 525MXC and he rides it in the desert even though it it was more of a MX model and the EXC was the desert one with lights and e-start. His MXC also has e-start and hook ups for lights!!!