Sign in to follow this  

Most reliable 450?

Whats the most reliable 450? Meaning yamaha, honda...ect.

Ive read all over this site about kawasakis problems (maybe just the 250?), I have no clue. I just want to know whats the MOST RELIABLE 450. Not intended to be raced, just trails, hillclimbs, and singletracking. What will last the longest, with the least maintainence (top ends and valves, complete rebuilds). :thumbsup:

CRF450X or WR450F Pick a color. Only real difference i have noticed is Yamaha parts are more expensive.

based on what i've read here and elsewhere, and personal conversations w/owners of all brands, yamaha and ktm seem pretty top notch these days. lotsa people like their hondas too, but as long as they support the sierra club i'm not buying a honda.

I believe it's Honda auto that's advertises with Sierra. I'm sure the motorcycle/atv group doens't like that, but the auto group is much bigger and da money talks... How do you know that the Honda Motorcycle group doesn't give lots of money to groups that support the support?

Hmmmm. I think I'm going to contact Honda motorcycle PR group to see what the skinny is on this. :thumbsup:

i just dont want to buy a 4 stroke and have to spend every dollar on fixing it or adjusting valves or spending $500 or whatever on a top end. i like my 2smoke but im thinking the tractor torque is what i want for my hill climbs. but im stuck on a 2smoke right now cause the $70 top ends and $6 oil changes! lol

In my experience with 4-strokes, they've all had amazing reliability. Regularly change the oil & filter and check the valves every 20 hours. My 04 CRF450R still has the stock valves.

I can get a filter for 3-4 bucks and 1.5 quarts of oil. A tick under $160 bucks for a piston with rings, wrist pin & circlip. For trail riders, those pistons last a very, very long time. I haven't had a 2-stroke in a while, but what would you guys say? 3-4 to 1 vs. a 2T top end?

well right now for me, only riding trails, i am doing a top end about every year on my 250. im still at around 165psi with over year on it, and im still going

if you take care of it, they will all last a long time. but no matter what color you buy, i can only promise you one thing, it WILL break

Based on what I've seen here on TT and experience myself, I'd say in general the Yamaha's are going to be the most reliable. I know people will say my (insert favorite brand here) has lasted forever and never gives me any trouble, but if you look at the aggregate opinion of this board, I think the YZ450 and WR450 would be viewed as the most reliable. That's not to say that the others aren't reliable, but the blue bikes seem to be just a step up on reliability.

• Like 1

This is a joke right? Yamaha with out a doubt. Not to mention they were the first to enter the four-stroke MX scene back in '98, they have everything worked out, and are ahead of the rest.

• Like 1

I'm not advertising for Yamaha but I read that the 4strokes they offer use 5 valves instead of four like everyone else. More valves to spread the work around so less stress on each individual valve.

• Like 1

The Older YZF's they carry more oil. The newer ones will be better than Honda, Kawi, Suzi, because the 5 vavle design uses smaller vavles and thus less likely to float. The down side is that they have more weight up high and have a higher center of gravity.

If I could only have one thumper, it would be a YZF, if its a 2nd or 3rd bike, I'd rather have a CRF and get someone else to do the valves ever ride. The others are all in the middle, less vavle work then honda, better handling then the Yamaha.

BTW: My cousins husband put 200,000 miles on a WR400 that he had dual sported. He lives in Truckee, CA, bought it in NV before WR's were CA available and rode it upto last year pretty much whenever he was not snowed in.

• Like 1