CRF80F Clutch too stiff for my 8yr old son

I bought a CRF80 2005 for my 8 yr old son and the clutch is too stiff for his hand strength. I lubed the cable and it didn't seem to help. Cable doesn't seem to be kinked. Any aftermarket clutch assemblies or suggestions. I can't be the only dad with this problem.

Bruce W.

Buy the ASV unbreakable clutch lever and perch for a CR250. Buy model F1 it is cheaper than the billet ones.

This set up has a better leverage ratio which will lower clutch effort, but more importantly it has and adjustable lever reach to bring it closer to his smaller hands. I worked for a Honda dealer and I use this setup all the time for kids. It is also way cheaper to buy this than to buy the CR80 lever and perch from Honda.

Buy the ASV unbreakable clutch lever and perch for a CR250. Buy model F1 it is cheaper than the billet ones.

This set up has a better leverage ratio which will lower clutch effort, but more importantly it has and adjustable lever reach to bring it closer to his smaller hands. I worked for a Honda dealer and I use this setup all the time for kids. It is also way cheaper to buy this than to buy the CR80 lever and perch from Honda.

It's cheaper??? Wow, that some good info. ?

This has come up so much, I'm going to do an article on it. So anybody else with good info keep'em coming.

Just be sure you buy the long lever and not the shorty which defeats the leverage advantage.

Don't waste your time buying these levers and perches. In my garage, I have 4 cr80 levers and perches as well as an unused ASV with an adjustable reach.

None of those worked for my then 9 yr old daughter and her crf80. Here is what did work.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/mauricedorris/CRF80-100/DSC00269.jpg

Basically, I removed the perch and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in it. Then I bought a tap and created threads in the hole. Last, I put in a set screw with some loctite. Then adjust the cable and it will be good.

What this does is adjust the clutch lever so that it is closer to the grip. With the smaller hands on these kids, then need the lever to be closer so that they can get their fingers around it. This worked perfectly.

I got this idea from another TT'er

Total cost, $6

Why couldn't you do it with the CR85 perch?? The lever for a cr85 is slimmer than the bulky 100/80 perches. Plus the ratio is still the same it's moved closer to the bar, which will help the reach part, but not the stiffness part. And lastly, why do you have four cr85 perches and levers?? Are you collecting them like I collect CDI's? ?

Why couldn't you do it with the CR85 perch?? The lever for a cr85 is slimmer than the bulky 100/80 perches. Plus the ratio is still the same it's moved closer to the bar, which will help the reach part, but not the stiffness part. And lastly, why do you have four cr85 perches and levers?? Are you collecting them like I collect CDI's? ?

Well.. I am collecting the perches. I'm setting up the worlds first clutch and brake lever museum and need them for my collection :ride:

Actually, I have two daughters and a crf80 and a crf100. I had planned to install perches on both clutch and brakes for both of them.

However, when I put the clutch perch on, the pull was a little easier, but the reach was still not good for my daughter because of her small hands. So, I drilled and tapped the stock perch and put in the screw. it worked.

it turns out that the pull wasn't the problem I thought it was. When they could get all four fingers around the lever, then worked it just fine, even for the little one. Reach is much more important than pull, in my opinion.

I tried to take the perches and levers back, but I ended up getting stuck with them. So, I am adding them to my museum collection.

Go to the Honda dealer. Squeeze the clutch lever on a brand new CRF80F. If it is the same, then you need to be creative. If the new clutch pull is much easier than your bike, then you need to recreate what the factory built.

I was amazed how much better the front brake on my XR200 became with a new brake cable. 100% better from just a new cable.

The other way to go is put a longer arm on the clutch end of the cable. Someone many sell one or you could buy one, have it cut, add 1/3" in length, reweld.

Well.. I am collecting the perches. I'm setting up the worlds first clutch and brake lever museum and need them for my collection ?

Actually, I have two daughters and a crf80 and a crf100. I had planned to install perches on both clutch and brakes for both of them.

However, when I put the clutch perch on, the pull was a little easier, but the reach was still not good for my daughter because of her small hands. So, I drilled and tapped the stock perch and put in the screw. it worked.

it turns out that the pull wasn't the problem I thought it was. When they could get all four fingers around the lever, then worked it just fine, even for the little one. Reach is much more important than pull, in my opinion.

I tried to take the perches and levers back, but I ended up getting stuck with them. So, I am adding them to my museum collection.

Do you want to sell them?

I have noticed that the cables on th XR/CRF's need lube every ride. If you lube the cable with a cable luber and wait untill the lube (I use WD40) comes all the way to the bottom (by the clutch arm) it really makes for a smooth acting clutch lever no matter what lever you use. I do use CR80 lever and perch though.

It turns out that the pull wasn't the problem I thought it was. When they could get all four fingers around the lever, then worked it just fine, even for the little one. Reach is much more important than pull, in my opinion.

Seems to me the key setup would be to adapt your adjuster to the CR80 perch. Then you'd have easy clutch pull PLUS a shorter throw.

FWIW the CR80 perch and lever on my XR100 made a WORLD of difference!

Seems to me the key setup would be to adapt your adjuster to the CR80 perch. Then you'd have easy clutch pull PLUS a shorter throw.

FWIW the CR80 perch and lever on my XR100 made a WORLD of difference!

I initially though that's what I would do. So I used the crf80 perch to practice on. but once my daughter got all of her fingers around the lever, the pull was not a problem at all. She's was 9 at the time and she can pull the stock levers once she gets her fingers around it.

I have no doubt that the cr80 perch would make an easier pull. The ASV is nice also.

For those who "want" to buy asv/cr80 perches, go right ahead. It will only cost you pennies to try the stock one and will do no harm if it doesn't work.