Sign in to follow this  

Lime Away question....

I heard this stuff will help make your rusty header pipe nice and shiny again or at least a little better looking. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I don't like rust but I also don't like 200 bucks for a header pipe. Thanks.

Hey kizzle.

Isn't the headpipe on your 426 made out of stainless steel? If so, there shouldn't be any "rust".

I think what you are talking about is the typical brownish "discoloration" that occurs on the outside of the pipe. This isn't rust in the typical sense.

There is a simple way to remove this discoloration and bring back the original metal color of the stainless:

1. Scrub with a "3M scotchbrite" pad or fine grade steel wool and soap & water. DON'T use sandpaper, a grinding wheel or any serious abrasive!

2. Rub with any good quality metal polish and buff off the residue.

VIOLA! A nice and shiny stainless headpipe once again.

Unfortunately, the discoloration will eventually come back and you'll have to start over again. Multiple "gentle" cleanings will not harm the stainless though.

That's a good thought. But yeah, it is rusted. It's an FMF hi-flo header and my guess after going through a couple of 4-strokers is that the heat makes stainless steel not so stainless after a while. Anyway, I'll give that a try. My muffler has this discoloration you speak of so I'll definitely try it on that.