510 SM Thermostat?

Does the coolant system in the Husqvarna 510 SM contain a thermostat? If not, are you required to warm the bike up before riding in order to prevent a cold seize? I'm thinking of buying either the 510 or the 610 and I've been getting conflicting answers from some of the dealers I've called. ? I'm ready to ride, I just can't decide which bike to buy.

Thanks,

Slink

Does the coolant system in the Husqvarna 510 SM contain a thermostat? If not, are you required to warm the bike up before riding in order to prevent a cold seize? I'm thinking of buying either the 510 or the 610 and I've been getting conflicting answers from some of the dealers I've called. ? I'm ready to ride, I just can't decide which bike to buy.

Thanks,

Slink

I haven't seen a T-stat in the two times I've torn my motor apart. I always warm up my bike until the radiators are getting warm before I take off.

• 2 months later...

No Thermostat, and yes you are supposed to warm it up. It warms up pretty quick.. Get the 510, if you want the Ferrari, and the 610 if you want a Porsche. Warning: the 510 is incredibly hard to ride within legal limits. You cant help but stonk all over the place, its too much fun !!

Only the 610 has a thermostat...the 250/450/510 dont have it.

Im checking if it can be done and i believe that it can...more important however is to install a electric fan controled by a thermal sitch which also can be done.

Sometimes i wish my 510 had a thermostat. The radiator warms up pretty quick parked but, the other night i was riding in 40 degree weather for about 1/2 hour on the street and after about 20miles the radiator was cold!

There are two ways to deal with that serious problem (im a firm believer that an engine should ALLWAYS work in the shortest temp range gap possible, which can only be done with an thermostast (to avoid engine temp decrease too much in low ambient temps) and an electric fan (to avoid engine temp to go up in special when riding in tight trails or you stop bike and let engine running), to increase parts durability), one is a thermostat (which i gonna check if its possible to adapt from another bike, the other way is simply put a plastic "board" in front of one radiator when riding with low ambient temps to block totally or partially air flow to that radiator...

Only the 610 has a thermostat...the 250/450/510 dont have it.

Im checking if it can be done and i believe that it can...more important however is to install a electric fan controled by a thermal sitch which also can be done.

I PUT A KTM FAN ON MY 07 TE 510 . IT IS IN THE KTM CAT. IT HAS A THERMOSTAT . I DRILLED THE BOTTOM OF MY RAD TO INSTALL IT. WORKS GREAT. GOOD IDEA WITH TEH PLASTIC IN FRONT OF RAD ON COLD DAY.

I PUT A KTM FAN ON MY 07 TE 510 . IT IS IN THE KTM CAT. IT HAS A THERMOSTAT . I DRILLED THE BOTTOM OF MY RAD TO INSTALL IT. WORKS GREAT. GOOD IDEA WITH TEH PLASTIC IN FRONT OF RAD ON COLD DAY.

How did you installed the fan ? IIRC, KTM rads have tabs to install the fan...

You dont need to drill radiator... contact http://www.heito.com and order the Vigitherme M16 F 70° +-3° V6 (replace 70ºC for your desired switching temp if you feel its too low) minimum order is 5 units.

I allready have 5 in stock but still didnt use it but it has a M6x6mm long SS thread and its very small...

It should be possible to be used instead of the M6 screw for coolant draining in the cylinder.

Could you post up some pics of this and describe how you wired it in? Not trying to hijack the thread... Thanks