Sign in to follow this  

Very hard start!!

my 04 has become very hard to start cold and hot. and befor anyone say's" its the valves, check the valves!" i already did and they are good. i put a new plug in it and its gap is good. if i get it running it runs great. but its a pain to start. cold not so much about 6 kicks and its running. it back fires some when kicking it. but hot just wont fire and they all of a suden it jsut goes. If i push start it it works every time, fires up and your gone.

Ok, maybe check the automatic decompression, it maybe stuck and you're trying to kick it over will full compression..

maybe check to see if your choke is sticking also could be to much fuel especialy when hot.

I would also check the cam chain and tensioner theres a posibilty its streched and throughing off the timing a slight bit.

On a side note, kawis 04 has a cdi problem maybe that could be causing it..

On a side note, kawis 04 has a cdi problem maybe that could be causing it..

right there

once it is running, theres no stoping it. it runs great, jsut getting it running is a pain. i was thinking the CDI but all the threads i read about them was that there was no spark at all. i have spark. not sure how much, i don't have a spark tester. but it did hurt when i was holding the plug and pushed the kick start.

Is there any way to test the CDI?

call kawisaki tell them your vin # and ask if its one of the affected cdi's if so then more then likly thats it.. if not check the auto decomp.

i checked if it was one of the affected CDI's and its not. But heres the thing. i topped up the gas tank today, it was just under half and went for a ride. it is way easyer to start. i used some octane booster in the last two tanks and im sure that was about when it started to get hard to start. so i drained all the gas out and put in fresh stuff and now it starts on about the 3rd or 4th kick, hot or cold. so im not gona be useing octane boost in the gas anymore. ill just buy higher octane gas.

it back fires some when kicking it.

this is the sign of the bad cdi. I would still take it to kawi ans make 100000% sure its ok. if it keeps back firing it will break the case.

yeah the bikes are built to run on premium pump gas. if you add octane booster you have no idea how much octane your using. the bikes actually run a hell of a lot worse with more octane then less. at least it was a cheap fix!

hey mine does the same thing... it just started happening. also, it wont take any choke where i used to have to choke it... it will bump start though, and then will run like a champ...