Sign in to follow this  

Race Gas Advice?

I have a Stock 05 RMZ450 and somebody recently gave me some 108 octane race gas.

all i have ever ran is 91 Octane pump gas.

will using race gas affect anything ? aka brake anything?

also should i start to use 94 octane pump gas instead of them 91?

what pro's and cons are there with doing this?

thank

I hardly ever run race fuel but from what i heard is to not run it straight race fuel only. Run like half and half. Thats just what i have heard though so im not sure if its accurate or not. And i also heard it helps clean up carbon build up on the valves.

One advantage to race fuel is it is consistent in octane etc. It will not hurt your engine the only problem is you can waste money by running a higher octane fuel than needed. Unless you get into some more expensive fuels you will have no problems however some fuel such as U-4 requires you to drain the carb as they are hard on the o-rings. There are alot of different things to watch for such as leaded, unleaded, oxygenated or not but most will run in your bike with no problem.

My engine builder say not to run high octane race fuel. Use a race fuel with no more than 94 octane such as U4. I just run premium pump gas of 94 octane.

I dont think you would get any good from it that would be noticable especially on a motor thats not built I have run 93 pump gas in mine from day one and it has had no issues. No reason to change it up.

Thanks for the advice. i think i wont be using the race gas.

i'll just stick with the 91 octane ihave always been using.

UNLESS you recommend using the 94 octane pump gas over that?

i live in ontario, there is a gas station called Sunoco that sells 94 octane.

93 is sold regularly at gas staions all over here in florida. It would be ok to use the 94 pump gas. You wont have any problems with it.

How are you people getting 93 and up pump gas? Highest i can get from the pump is 91.

Most places in my area only have 91 octane also, it is easier to buy race gas so you know what you are getting. A lot of time we will mix it 50/50 with pump gas and can tell very little if any difference in performance.

If 50/50 mix does not make a noticible difference why spend the extra money on the race gas.

Sunoco makes 94 but just use the higest that is easy to get that way you are always using the same type of fuel. Use a gas station that sells alot of premium gas so you get fresh gas everytime.

If 50/50 mix does not make a noticible difference why spend the extra money on the race gas.

Sunoco makes 94 but just use the higest that is easy to get that way you are always using the same type of fuel. Use a gas station that sells alot of premium gas so you get fresh gas everytime.

Not much difference in straight race gas to a 50/50 mix but that is in our stock bike. You can tell a difference in straight to 50/50 in our mod bike. I would run a 94 octane fuel if readily available, it would probably be Ok even in our mod bike. Do you get your Sunoco 94 from a station? That would definately be handy but not available that I know of in my area.

If I remember right, race gas runs leaner so adjust your jetting accordingly. If thats what you choose to do.

I think most people generally use "petrol", I tend to use "petty" for short.

Each to their own :thumbsup:

VP U4 Race Fuel - otherwise known as Bike Crack! Run it at 100% no dilute...but get your wallet out retail about $70.00 for 5 gal...adds 2-3 hp at the rear wheel.....or try the VP MRPPRO4...at $45.00 a gal.....and you will be like Ricky.... :thumbsup: These fuels are made for 4stroke motorcycles

the high octane race fuel for cars ....etc..only tears up your seals in the carb and is not designed to be run in a 4stroke mx bike :applause:

in sweden we get 95, 96, and 98 octane straight from the pump :applause:

on some gas stations(shell) we can buy something called v-power and thats 99 octane...i always use 98...and almost everybody i know, so 98 octane= no problem :thumbsup: