Fine or Coarse Metric Threads??

Answering my own question - After I got home I checked the maintenance specs in the manual. Yamaha uses both coarse and fine threads.

8mm Head = M6 x 1.0 thread size (coarse)

10mm head = M8 x1.25 thread size (coarse)

12mm head = M10 x 1.25 thread size (fine)

There are two kinds of ISO metric threads: coarse and fine.

http://www.metrication.com/engineering/threads.htm

I am thinking coarse, since the screws holding the chain guard on the top of the swingarm behind the countersocket are M5 and they don't make them in fine.

BAmmm!!!! you just made them guys at the top look like dummies...Kepp on truckin

There are two kinds of ISO metric threads: coarse and fine.

http://www.metrication.com/engineering/threads.htm

I am thinking coarse, since the screws holding the chain guard on the top of the swingarm behind the countersocket are M5 and they don't make them in fine.

Well, actually, there are metric threads in more than just plain old coarse and fine. There are many sizes with an extra fine pitch as well, and then some even finer than that (once you get larger diameter).

If you go to a site like www.mcmaster-carr.com and snoop around the pages with taps, you'll see a whole bunch of varieties.

Back to the question at hand, most of the M5 and M6 threads on the Yam is a coarse thread. There are some fine threads lurking here and there, like within the shock and forks.

Engineeering class is over, time to go riding instead. ?

BAmmm!!!! you just made them guys at the top look like dummies...Kepp on truckin

I be thinking you the one that looks like a dummy.....Your post was not constructive and offers nothing to help the original poster with his question....If you can't offer actual information, perhaps you should be a lurker.... ?:ride::applause::applause: