Sign in to follow this  

Skyline Trail

What can you all tell me about this ride? I have maps and know where it is located. What is the difficulty? How does it compare to the American Fork single track? That is the only place that I have riden in the area, just moved here and still trying to figure things out.

Cheers!

What can you all tell me about this ride? I have maps and know where it is located. What is the difficulty? How does it compare to the American Fork single track? That is the only place that I have riden in the area, just moved here and still trying to figure things out.

Cheers!

Are you talking about the Skyline Trail up above Ogden? I ride this trail all the time.....in fact, I just did the entire thing on Saturday, starting from Pineview Reservoir all the way over to Willard Peak, down to Mantua, and then home on the highway (street legal).

The trail is quite easy with just a few good obstacles thrown in for good measure. If you’re starting from the Pineview side, the trail is quite narrow and exposed but easy as long as you don’t go off the trail. If you do, you’ll have a heck of a time getting your bike back on the trail (been there done that). About two miles up, you will come to a really sharp switchback. It’s easy riding it up, but can be more of a challenge riding it down. After that the trail is easy the rest of the way to the ridgeline and/or out to Lewis Peak.

If you drop down to the North Ogden Divide trailhead, the last mile has some good rocky and rooty sections. They are easy going down, but if you decide to come up from this direction, it is by far the most technical stretch of the entire trail. You then head up the Ben Lomond side. Again, it is pretty easy, but after a mile or two you will encounter a few switch backs…..nothing too difficult, but just expect them.

When you get up on the ridgeline the trail remains easy with incredible views of the valleys below. If you decide to try and ascend the switchbacks up to Ben Lomond, this is where it gets gnarly. There are a couple of pretty serious switchbacks that I would consider intermediate/expert. They’re pretty easy going up, but require a bit of finesse to be able to ride down them. If you continue past Ben Lomond Peak to Willard Peak you have another mile or two of singletrack. Right after you drop off of Ben Lomond toward Willard you have some similar tight switchbacks and then it gets to be a real smooth singletrack right on the exposed north facing ridgeline. After you get to Willard Basin the singletrack stops.

So, I guess what I’m saying is that 90% of the trail is very easy, but there are a few obstacles in between that you can get over, but you have to anticipate them.

If you do decide to ride this trail, please please please please……exercise proper trail etiquette with the other trail users. You will encounter hikers, mountain bikers, and equestrians. I always say hi, and yield as necessary to them, and often turn off my bike and coast past them if passing them on a downhill (if they yield to me). This is the only legal singletrack between Logan and American Fork and we can’t jeopardize to lose it.

Thanks for the update. However, since the post I went and checked it out anyways. I was up there last Sat. too. It was a great ride, a little slower paced than American Fork. But the views are amazing. Normal encounters with other users, some good, some bad. I will ride it again for sure.