Sign in to follow this  

semi dry sump?

Hi can anyone tell me what semi dry sump is? My 450 rm-z engine is running bad and me and my mechanic has tried almost everything.yesterday we pulled the top of the motor to inspect the piston, valves+springs and cylinder and it is all by the owners manual specs. we noticed that the crankcase was "filled" with oil. My last bikes were CRF450`s and they were always "dry" in the crankcase. Is this what they call semi dry sump? and can too much engine oil make the bike loose power and make bang sounds/backfire. my top and exhaust valves are all black like a 2-stroke exhaust pipe with too much premix oil and a way too large main jet.we did a cO test to check if the problem is caused by the carburetor but test results show that the carburetor is not the problem.I sure hope that someone can help, cause I really need to go riding :ride:

Thank you and have a pleasant weekend :thumbsup:

I'm sure someone else can help you more with this, But your Hondas would have have seperate motor oil and transmission fluid.. Your RM-Z just has the one that everything runs in and is pumped to the places where it is needed and I believe that the RM-Z will hold more oil as well, thus appearing "full" to you...

Hope this helps some...

The KXF/RMZ have a "semi-dry sump", where the transmission is used as the reservoir.