High octane in TE 450??

Here in Norway we have 92, 95 and 98 unleadet gas. Now Shell has something they call 99 octane racingfuel. And I just wonder if the TE 450 would like higher octane gas or not?? Do I have to adjust something?? How bout using octane booster?? My TE is a 2004.

if you don't get any pinging on the lower octane rated gas, going up in octane will only improve how fast your wallet empties, if you have oxygenated gas, then that will improve performance, I believe you need to rejet for that.

P.S. is that the octane rating as we use it or is it like 98 RON. etc. ????

Race fuels are purpose built fuels the best they can make it. Much of the extra cost is in transport as it is not pushed through thousand miles of pipe lines, very few if any additives. antifreezes, water dispersant's, anti rust inhibiter's , preservatives, on and on. Where as race fuel is highly refined hydro-carbons few if any additives so it is fresh and must be trucked or packaged in proper storage containers. Your car doesn't care it has a computer that rich-ens up the jetting, senses a knock then retards timing all without you knowing it, can't hear this on bike just killing the big end of rod and cleaning the carbon off top of piston. Just show me 1 true race team that fuels up at a gas station, some pay $100.00 + a gallon for their special blend then cry when AMA or FIM busts them for it. If you can afford it do it. Have never found any pump fuel to meet octane #'s posted on the pump says 91 but really 88-89 owners Manuel says 98 min so do your best to get their. Will never say you can't get away with running pump gas. But if you were really that fast you would have a factory ride and wouldn't pay for it anyway. In Norway your pump gas a lot of water dispersant and anti freeze. What i'll say is just give it a try your paying for it, if you can find it leaded race fuel is really good for TI valves cuts down on hi-rpm valve bounce. They will greatly appreciate it and will last longer. Later George

I believe 92, 95, & 98 RON are the same as our 87, 89, & 92 Octane. So if the manual ask's for 98RON, they want 92 octane,,, of course I could be mistaken ? but I recall someone doing the conversion a few months back.

Thanks for the replys, did not know it was different octane rating in Europa and USA. The fuel i am talking bout is 99 octane RON. Here is a link bout it. http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=uk-en&FC2=/uk-en/html/iwgen/news_and_library/press_releases/2006/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/uk-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/vpower_p/vpower_p_bikers_ga_1602.html

Isn't all US gas that you buy at the bump (RON+MON/2)? That would be research octane plus motor octane divided by 2.

Anyone know the difference?

Research is the theoretical value that the fuel should be based upon how it is refined. Motor octane is where the fuel is run in a test engine. The engine's performance is compared to a known ratio of Iso-Octane to N-Heptane. If the engine runs like a 92 ratio, it is assigned a motor octane rating of 92.

Greg