Sign in to follow this  

Need opinion on "minor scratches"

Here's what the eBay ad said and I copied and pasted this from the ad:

"You are bidding on a 2005 DRZ400 OEM Exhaust Silencer. Removed from a 2005 DRZ400SM with only 1000 miles on the clock. The bike was layed down so there are some minor scratches on the silencer cap but otherwise looks and works perfectly."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280014216604&category=35596

Here's what I got:

http://www.bhuffman.com/misc/muffler-1.jpg

http://www.bhuffman.com/misc/muffler-2.jpg

Also the dent in the muffler to go around the frame is much deeper on this one than mine but this may just be something in manufacturing:

http://www.bhuffman.com/misc/muffler-3.jpg

So what do you think? Do I have a valid complaint to return it?

I would call that moderate scratches myself. The dent looks to me like it got shoved in to the frame (kinked). The seller should have taken better pictures. I know where a perfect stock S pipe is.

That dent is huge! Looks like it hit the spring hard. I would say that you got no complaint on the end cap. But did he say anything about the dent? I got a few of the plastics off that bike for like $7.50 each no scratches.

I'll get better photos but the end cap is bent in some and not just scratched. The dent is not mentioned in the ebay ad, the link is on the post above, I worry about restriction with a dent that big.

Valid complaint, return it.

That's the problem with Ebay, you never really know what you're getting.

The other problem is if you leave them negative feedback of course they'll leave you negative feedback, no matter what. :thumbsup:

Contact hte seller first. I have purchased 130 plus things on ebay over the years and yes I did get screwed on some but all in all it worked out. I would contact the seller first and see if you can come to an agreement. Either return of 100 of the cash or something else.

you should totally get on this guys case. he didn't even get the grass out of the end. he obviously doesn't care and thinks he can sell garbage on ebay.

you should totally get on this guys case. he didn't even get the grass out of the end. he obviously doesn't care and thinks he can sell garbage on ebay.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

The dent in the pipe is the only real bone of contention. If it's enough to affect performance then you should try to return it or repair it and use it.

It looks like it only cost you $20 bucks. Seems pretty cheap to me.

I agree with another DRZ guy that it appears as if the seller didn't give a rats ass as he left the mud stuck in the end cap (LAME).

:thumbsup: The condition of the pipe would be enough for me to return it and the grass stuck in the end is an insult! Had it read " thrashed Drz pipe" that would be different

why did you BUY a stock pipe i would have just bought a after market slip on. but yeah id say give him some krap..

Why stock? Bought the bike used & the silencer was missing, you can not buy just the tip from the dealership! I want to do some dual sport rides and need to meet the Forest Service noise level requirements & have a spark arrester. I posted a thread asking if there were any aftermarket pipes or tips that met the requirements:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401887

I got "0" replys so I started looking for a pipe someone removed.

I'm really worried about the dent and if the restricted exhaust flow will cause problems. And yes I'm :ride: about the whole thing, given who the seller is I expected better from them :thumbsup: I would just take the tip off and put it on my existing exhaust but one of the bolts is broken off and we can not get it out. It's been drilled & a removal tool used but what's left will not budge. It's going out to another shop Monday to try again.

I would contact the seller, tell him you are unhappy, and want your money back.

Offer him the chance to refund your money for goods that were not properly described.

To help him make his mind up, offer him + feedback if he sorts it out.

Something like "honourable seller".

I have had good results using this method with a couple of items that were not what they were advertised to be.

If he refuses then report it to E-Bay, and if you used them PayPal.

At least that way you have a chance to reply to negative feedback, or E-bay will withdraw his comments.

Good Luck.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

A: It's the bidders job to ask the questions, ask for pictures and determine if the auction as being truthful ....Never rely on what they put in the ad.. Always ask questions and for pictures. "Great condition" "Like New" "Minor Scratches" are all subjective... as well as often over used.

B: Yes, I'd have a bone to pick with advertised VS received condition

C: At the purchase price.. I'd give it a few minutes of contact with the seller, if he does not deal with you.... Toss that bent exhaust in the trash, forget the pocket change you lost in the deal, and try again.. Your aggravation and time is not worth the couple of $$ lost.. IMHO

In my opinion you got beat. That is a pretty beat up exhaust. The dent on the pipe is exactly like the one from my stock 05 S pipe. I had to space my new one out to keep the rear shock from mashing it again...

Contact the seller, see what you can work out, but don't go nuts. A cheap stock exhaust is exactly what you got. Save your $$$ and get a full after market system. You will get better power and you can still keep it quiet if you want to.

Pretty much everything is moot right now. I sent the seller a link to this thread and am awaiting a reply. A buddy of mine came over and we started to mount the exhaust but realized we could not because the bolts don't line up as you can see in the photo, the bolt in the back is my exhaust, the front his.

http://www.bhuffman.com/misc/muffler-4.jpg

This bike took a much bigger whack than he's letting on. I realize it's let the buyer beware but he's the one that stated: "The bike was layed down so there are some minor scratches on the silencer cap but otherwise looks and works perfectly."

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm heading out now in search of that elusive aftermarket exhaust that will meet the DSR noise requirements, anyone got the answer?

Holy :thumbsup:.... That went down hard. You can see the mount peeling back.
Thin wall steel is used in that exhaust. It takes very little when your dropping a 300 pound bike to the ground,, to bend it up. You can easily fix that mount. Thread the fastener in all the way,, and give it a smack with a dead blow hammer, or such. It will bend that mount right back.