Sign in to follow this  

Gas Power Washer And Barrel??

I just picked up a PW and 50gal water drum and hoping to get it all set up for the weekend. For those that have them, do you have any issues with the water self feeding? I picked up some fittings and such so I can hook a household tap up to it, and use a garden hose. Will the tap restrick the water flow too much with gravity feed? and does it matter how long the garden hose is? Anything else I should be thinging of before I start drilling the barrel for the fittings? Thanks.

I set my barrel on it's side and use the stock holes in the barrel. I use a pvc petcock type valve to open and close.

My barrel doesn't have any holes in the lid yet, so I have to drill them.

My barrel is strapped to the wall of the trailer so I mounted the value on the side at the bottom. I went to a plumbing supply and bought a "bulkhead" fitting, PVC ball valve, and a pipe thread-to-std garden hose adaptor. works great. whether or not you can gravity feed will depend on your pressure washer, but it works fine with my electric Karcher washer, I just have to make sure that after I hook it up and open the valve, I let ALL of the air bubble out of the line before I turn the washer on, otherwise it won't work. To make it easier to see when the bubbles are out, instead of a regular garden hose, I connect the barrel to the washer with a length of clear vinyl 3/4" tubing that I bought and put garden hose fittings on the ends.

Just make sure to get that barrel as high as possible and use the shortest hose possible to your washer. You need to use gravity and minimal drawing friction to your advantage. Most of these washers need about 2 GPM at minimum and they are known for burning out if they don't receive enough pressurized water.