Sign in to follow this  

South Tommy-Mad River System

I thought I had been on every trail in the system at Mad River, but ran across this trail last weekend, didn't have time to try it. Is it open this year? There is a sign saying Experts only. Anyone have first hand experience? Is it exposed face stuff?

Thinking of taking a group up there Sunday, and want to know what it is about if anyone knows. Don't want to get the group on "The Wall" if it is like that. I know that is in the area, and not marked well from first hand experience.

Thanks for any tips.

Roy

This information comes from the Entiat Ranger District Trials Guide, as I do not have personal experience with this trail. South Tommy #1423 5.7 miles long

This scenic, steep trail accesses Tyee Ridge. It runs from Middle Tommy Trail #1424 to the Tyee Ridge Trail #1414. It is not recommended for motorbikes and is considered a MORE DIFFICULT hiker trail.

I just rode South Tommy for the first time in about 6 years, on Saturday the 26th. Pretty much non-stop switchbacks from the bottom to the top. The switchbacks start getting tight at the top. There are three trees down, the first one you come to going up is the worst. Also has lots of overbrush and some low hanging trees. I can say the trail is easier now then the last time I rode it since it has been recut recently (with in the last couple, three years). Hope this helps. Oh yeah about a quater mile from the top I stared smelling coolant from my bike.

Thanks for the replies. We skipped it, as the guy in front decided to go down Middle Tommy wwithout waiting for the rest of us. :applause:

We decided not to ride up it until there is more moisture, as it is too dry right now for any traction. We were also wondering if bikes and riders might overheat. :thumbsup:

Did North Tommy back, and that wasn't in bad shape considering how dry it is. Not as much powder as some of the other trails.

I thought I had been on every trail in the system at Mad River, but ran across this trail last weekend, didn't have time to try it. Is it open this year? There is a sign saying Experts only. Anyone have first hand experience? Is it exposed face stuff?

Thinking of taking a group up there Sunday, and want to know what it is about if anyone knows. Don't want to get the group on "The Wall" if it is like that. I know that is in the area, and not marked well from first hand experience.

Thanks for any tips.

Roy

The Wall? What is that?

Greg

The Wall? What is that?

Greg

It is a nasty section of trail in the Mad River system. Steep face with a lot of tight switchbacks that you walk around. I'm not sure if the trail is open, we happened on it by pure luck :thumbsup::applause: . It is not on the map that I know of, but there are a few people on this forum that know how to point you there. I think the guy is 2PLY the Trials guy. I think everyone should ride it once. :applause:

What is it about us men? I get totally scared when I am on exposed sections of trails but if I know about them, something in the back of my mind tells me "lets go check it out". Something about that need to see it for myself thing. The worst thing you could see while riding is a sign that says "for expert riders only". It might as well say "this is your only option if you are a real man" Its sick!