Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a new 06 YZ250

Hello all. Just bought a 06 YZ 250. I am coming back to 2 strokes( coming off a CRF450). Any ideas on what works and what does not? Any good pipe ideas? I already bought a O-ring chain. Mostly desert and trails, dunes Etc.

Thanks.

5700 out the door with a couple perks. I found one in Marina Del Ray for 4999 out the door. To far to drive.

I also have a 2006 YZ250. I bought a DEP pipe. It works great. See my prior write up below.

Recently, I purchased a 2006 Yamaha YZ250 after coming off a 2004 Honda CRF450R. I was looking for the light weight and good suspension offered by the YZ for general off road and trail riding. Living and riding in California requires a spark arrestor in most riding areas. After coming off a 450 the YZ was, as expected, lacking in low end power but I thought it seemed a bit lacking in mid and top end as well. I ordered a Moto Tassinari reed cage and that helped fill in some when running the stock exhaust and an FMF Turbine Core II spark arrestor. However, I thought it still lacked a little in the mid and on top. After reading the Dirt Rider article on two stroke exhaust pipes and looking at the dyno graph on the DEP pipe on their website, I decided to buy a DEP Pipe from Johnson Racing. Wow, what a difference!!! The DEP Pipe does exactly what the Dirt Rider article said it would. It allows you to run a gear higher than stock in the lower RPM ranges and it will still pull strongly. The top end is at least the equal of my 450 if not stronger. The bike now power wheelies in all five gears. The top end just keeps pulling and pulling long after the stock system signed off. It feels like it gained at least four or five more HP on top. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/ne...ewthread&f=198

If you are looking to keep pace with the 450's or just broaden your powerband, this is one combination that works. I highly recommend those two products.

5700 out the door with a couple perks. I found one in Marina Del Ray for 4999 out the door. To far to drive.

LA Yamaha? They leave their bikes outside at night in the salty air. nothing cooler than buying a new bike with an already corroding aluminum swingarm.

Anyways, congrats on the new bike, Im sure you'll love it.

As far as mods, my 2002 250 does very well stock. All Ive added is a FMF spark arrestor muffler, and thats it. Im going to get a nice big skidplate, so Id reccomend that, and possibly a big tank if you are planning on going on long rides.

One thing I like about my 250, and yours must be the same because the motors are very similar, is it gets great gas mileage. I can go about 60 miles on the stock tank if I take it easy.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably run it stock for a little while then maybe try the DEP pipe. Probably get some rubber mounted bars as well.

Hey FireDude, put your flex bars on your new 250, I did and loooovvve them, just have to get the 1" adapters from Yamaha 06 450 or adapters for overside bars on stock trple clamp. They raise the bar up another inch and help alot with braking bumps and stutters. But You know! sorry why pay for rubber triples when you have the bars that are better. Just sell your 450 with the stocker type. Good luck

2006 YZ250V

2003 YZ450F (parting out)

Hey FireDude, put your flex bars on your new 250, I did and loooovvve them, just have to get the 1" adapters from Yamaha 06 450 or adapters for overside bars on stock trple clamp. They raise the bar up another inch and help alot with braking bumps and stutters. But You know! sorry why pay for rubber triples when you have the bars that are better. Just sell your 450 with the stocker type. Good luck

2006 YZ250V

2003 YZ450F (parting out)

I like your thinking. Which route did you go?

I ride 90% tight woods and the only things I consider mandatory on the 06 are protection (hand guards, skid, etc...), a decent chain, spark arrestor and a flywheel weight. I've damn near worn my stock tire down to nubs in 4 rides. This bike just explodes every corner it meets. Fun, but not effective for off road riding.

I've got the Devol skid on mine and its a quality unit. A must for rocky areas such as So Cal. You'll also want some longer legs, especially out in the dez. 14/48 would be more desert friendly.