Sign in to follow this  

88250R Can't find decompression bracket that goes on side case - effect on starting?

I"m putting together my 1988 XR250R after screwing around with it forever. I can't seem to find the bracket that gets attached by a 6mm bolt, goes on the right side clutch crankcase cover, just above the kickstarter shaft. It looks like it holds the cable that connects to the kickstart decompression / kickback rotating lever (looks like it has some type of cam on the inside of the sidecase cover that rides on the kickstart shaft - you have to hold it down when you put on the sidecase).

Anyway, I want to start this damn thing this weekend. My whole top end and bottom end is new. Also have a brand new stock carb never installed I picked up for $60.00.

Not having this bracket, and a working cable on the lever, is this going to make it a bitc*h to start? Whats the effect of not having it hooked up at all?

Have a thumper 300 cc kit in it - should I have it operating?

I've ordered the bracket, I just want to take this thing for a ride this weekend. .

Mike

It just pulls the compression release when you start kicking the kick starter. Like the auto release that everyone is disconnecting on the newer generation engines. Just go ride it dosent do anything that important.