Sign in to follow this  

Cold air intake

Anybody have a cold air intake system on their truck? If so, are they worth the money? I was looking at getting one for my Chevy. Just not sure it is worth the investment. Anyone?

I am not sure about your Chevy but my 05' F150 lost 1.5 MPG and increased nothing but noise from under the hood. It was definitley not worth the money. I ended up selling it to another sucker for 1/2 price..........

It should of came stock with a cold air intake system. Double check. Does it suck air from the grille, fender, behind the headlamp etc?

Toyota,

Can you educate me here. I went and looked at the truck. The truck is a '03 with a 5.3 liter.

The truck has a black box (containing the air filter) mounted behind the passenger headlight. I popped the top off, it looks like the "air" is being fed via hole in the box by the fender. With the limited information I have provided. Would this be considered the factory version of a "cold air intake" system? I would hate to buy something I already have and don't know. :thumbsup: Thanks.

Yes factory systems draw air from outside the engine compartment. But they can be restrictive. Your talking of a high flow intake system, commonly referred to as cold air intakes with an open element like a k&n system. Some of these systems offer a cold air scoop or divider. your 5.3 which i had in a tahoe has the factory air box.

The one I put on my Expedition... I used to have... seemed to help. It was a simple aluminum tube with a K&N cone filter on the end. I put one on the wife's GTP and i am not sure if if helps the power but the supercharger sounds bad ass now.

I used to work at a company designing “cold air intakes”. The number one criteria was noise. You could give the customer a 10 hp gain and the same noise level as stock and they would complain incessantly, or you could give them a 10 hp loss and lots of intake noise and the customers would be happy as can be. In the past there have been some less than great air intake systems, but most any late model vehicle has had lots of thought put into getting the best performance possible while still meeting noise requirements. Unfortunately aftermarket marketing campaigns, combined with a strong sense of buyers remorse has many people convinced that the OEM systems are designed by Chiba Monkeys. The new Fram Boost commercials are a perfect example, the only point seems to be that it makes a whoosh when you accelerate. This seems like a case of unintentional honesty of what you can really expect from the parts.

I used to work at a company designing “cold air intakes”. The number one criteria was noise. You could give the customer a 10 hp gain and the same noise level as stock and they would complain incessantly, or you could give them a 10 hp loss and lots of intake noise and the customers would be happy as can be. In the past there have been some less than great air intake systems, but most any late model vehicle has had lots of thought put into getting the best performance possible while still meeting noise requirements. Unfortunately aftermarket marketing campaigns, combined with a strong sense of buyers remorse has many people convinced that the OEM systems are designed by Chiba Monkeys. The new Fram Boost commercials are a perfect example, the only point seems to be that it makes a whoosh when you accelerate. This seems like a case of unintentional honesty of what you can really expect from the parts.

I love the guy in the Fram Boost commercial that pushes himself back in the seat when he stomps on it.

I own a 1997 K1500 that was stock when I purchased it. I put on a cold air intake, helix and true dual exhaust. I can say that I did increase my mileage when I installed but that may be because I balanced the NEW less restrictive air coming in with the true dual exhaust that is allowing it to pass through and out the tail pipes easier. I would have not done only one step because you need to be able to get out what you put in as equally as possible. Hope that helps with your decision.

I added one to my 05. It was a kit from TXChristopher. It was cheap, but works great. It basically is a boot that keeps the hot underhood air out and draws air from the opening in the fender(now covered) and from below. The kit comes with detailed instructions and a CD with all the pictures you need. Takes 20 mins. to install. I have noticed slightly better mileage and no added noise.

i used to have the k&n cold air intake kit in my chevy...it was out in the open and it most likely sucked in alot of hot air from the motor..i definatly could feel i lost alot of low end power when i had it in, (the stock unit worked better)

than later i switched to the Volant system (my brother has it in his dodge and said it worked good), it has a box and makes the filter enclosed so it wont suck in as much hot air than an exposed filter, that kit made a noticable difference in power everywhere, i now run the volant system with an outwears cover on the filter...dont have to mess with it for awhile..its a good kit and with a different exhaust my truck runs good

try to stay away from cold air kits that leave the filter out in the open, they tend get dirty really fast and just suck in more hot air from the engine wich kills the power

The k&n kit wasnt worth the money, but the volant ide have to say it was worth it

Toyota,

Can you educate me here. I went and looked at the truck. The truck is a '03 with a 5.3 liter.

The truck has a black box (containing the air filter) mounted behind the passenger headlight. I popped the top off, it looks like the "air" is being fed via hole in the box by the fender. With the limited information I have provided. Would this be considered the factory version of a "cold air intake" system? I would hate to buy something I already have and don't know. :applause: Thanks.

Yes, your vehicle sucks cold air as do all of them, except the ones the guys "add" the cold air intake in which, they now suck in hot air from the engine room. I still dont know why its called a cold air intake, when it removes the original cold air intake and now sucks hot air. But its makes a real loud noise and its much harder to hear the radio now.

:thumbsup:

I bet ten time more engineering time goes into a late model intake system. Then goes into any of these miracle intake system. Think about it and maybe the only " power increase" could come at High RPM full throttle and then only if there is some kind of Vacuum or pressure drop in the OE intake at full throttle. Now consider driving in heavy rain crossing a small stream. How about that over oiled filter putting dirt and oil all over the Mass Air Flow sensor which the hot wire ones have a burn off cycle which will now just put a blanket of ash and dirt on the sensor. When this happens your performance is going down fast no matter what intake you have.

Pretty much all cars/trucks already have "cold air intakes" Its just common sense for the engineers to make it that way. All the aftermarket intakes do it provide more flow, but at the same time they suck in more hot air because they aren't protected too well. But they sound cool though.

I love the guy in the Fram Boost commercial that pushes himself back in the seat when he stomps on it.

That commercial bugs the shit out of me. What a bunch of idiots.

I had a K&N fuel injection performance kit on my '00 Z28, it made a slight difference, not worth the money, and the average person would probably not be able to tell a difference. They only way I noticed it was because I was "one" with that car. :thumbsup:

I also had the same K&N setup on my '95 GMC Sierra (filter, plenum, cold air box) and it was the biggest POS. Total waste of money. It did absolutely nothing for mileage, HP or torque. All it did was when I stepped on the gas.....it sounded like there was a Shop Vac under my hood that got turned on.

I will never buy another one of those POS 'cold air intakes' for a gasoline motor ever again. And I laugh at people who buy them and say, 'dude my car/truck is blah blah blah, so much faster, yada yada yada, you can feel the power, blah blah blah.'

Save your money for beer and hookers.

The volant looks like a good unit but I can hardly see how it would be much of an improvement over stock. Needing to change the programming and adding free-er flowing exhaust would seem to also be needed to reallly help MPG much.

The fram boost looks like a decent/closed system too and it appears you do not have to oil the filter.

My f150 came with the K&N open in the engine bay and the support brackets worked just a little loose. The result is the filter was resting on the inside fender (not a smooth surface with all the other plugs and braketry there) and managed to rub a couple of holes into itself so I have been driving around with a little unfiltered air going into my engine. Oh well. I am looking for a direct replacement for the K&N but want something that does not have to be oiled. I swear I saw a filter that did not need oil but can't remember or find the name - anybody heard of this one?

Not knocking K&N per say - I had one on my 84 xr350 and it worked great. Just not my thing on a truck and not good open to the engine bay either. The oil gunking the MAF is not a good thought either.

Any help appreciated.