Sign in to follow this  

spooge..

I have a cr 250 that always leaks pipe spooge down the front of the motor..Makes a big mess..Ive tried 0 rings, red rtv,Spacers..etc..none of the above have remedied the problem....Any body had any success in stopping spooge leaks from the headpipe..?

That is not what I thought of when I read the title...but no, no idea's here.

Mix the gas at 40:1 and use heat silicone on the inside of pipe and the motor where it connects with the pipe.

Reply back if this works!

Mess around with your jetting....Your wayyy too rich
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :thumbsup:

The best way to fix your spooge problem is to stop the engine from making spooge. Spooge is caused by rich jetting, nothing else. It's not caused by too much oil in the mix, and it's not caused by riding too slow. Fix the jetting.

Give this thread a read: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409009

i disagree

i gottht crap all over my moter and i ride it hard!

ive messed with the jetting for the past 5 months and also put in v force reeds, and a top end.

IT JUST SPLOOGES!

live with it

and ride it like u mean it

i disagree

i gottht crap all over my moter and i ride it hard!

Spooge has nothing to do with how hard you ride. If that were the case I would have the oiliest bike on the planet, since I'm the world's biggest spode.
ive messed with the jetting for the past 5 months
Well, you still haven't gotten it right if you haven't gotten rid of the spooge.
live with it
Why, when it can easily be eliminated? I ran 26:1 in my 250s for years, with absolutely zero spooge. You can stick your finger in the end of my silencer and it will come out almost completely dry. Why? Because I know how to jet.

Just because you have been unsuccessful at fixing your spooge problem does not mean that it can't be fixed. Don't assume that there is no solution to a problem just because you have been unable to find it.

I have a cr 250 that always leaks pipe spooge down the front of the motor..Makes a big mess..Ive tried 0 rings, red rtv,Spacers..etc..none of the above have remedied the problem....Any body had any success in stopping spooge leaks from the headpipe..?

chokey is right on the money with the re-jet advice...all the lean mixtures and aftermarket fixes(which actually make the bike run richer) wont help until you play with some brass...:thumbsup:

what year bike is it?

I gather from your sig that you're referring to the 90 CR250 and you use it for woods riding.

If it was mine, I'd mix it at about 40-42:1 (3 oz/gal) and jet accordingly.

This will provide ample lubrication since the engine isn't seeing the higher revs like it would in MX. There's a good jetting guide in the Honda manuals if you have it.

I used to have a CR500 that was jetted so cleanly that it had a dry exhaust stinger, so it can be done.

I believe the 90 model used the PJ series carb. One quirk with that carb that can baffle even good tuners is caused by the fact that the idle circuit is built into the choke assembly. The mechanism will eventually start leaking fuel by it, causing a rich condition that can't be cured with jetting.

Hope it helps.

:thumbsup:

Its a 1990 cr 250..an oldie but a goodie...in excellent shape...Yeah im going to drop the needle a groove...see if that helps....I run Power plus oil...50 to 1..mix...My plug isnt fouling , and last check it was tan in color...I just leaned out my 426..and it runs a lot better..I bet the 250 is rich also...

Thanx for the info skoot...thats good stuff..

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :thumbsup:

The best way to fix your spooge problem is to stop the engine from making spooge. Spooge is caused by rich jetting, nothing else. It's not caused by too much oil in the mix, and it's not caused by riding too slow. Fix the jetting.

Give this thread a read: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409009

Thanx , great thread...good info..

I believe the 90 model used the PJ series carb. One quirk with that carb that can baffle even good tuners is caused by the fact that the idle circuit is built into the choke assembly. The mechanism will eventually start leaking fuel by it, causing a rich condition that can't be cured with jetting.

Hope it helps.

:applause:

RING-A-DING DING DING DING!!!!!!

And now we have a winner! Spodeman has his shit together! My '94 CR250 spooged like a menstruating...ok, never mind about that...

It did this until I replaced the choke tower on my PJ carb...Viola!

SPO NOOGE!!!

Spode, you have learned well, grasshopper! :thumbsup::ride::applause:

It's funny how that article by a major oil manufacturer reiterates what I keep trying to preach to everybody when it comes to spooge, and yet most people will still argue with me and declare that the correct way to fix spooge is to run less oil. :thumbsup:

SC_Spode, you are correct about that specific mechanical malady being a cause for spooge on some bikes. But when I preach to the masses about the correct way to fix spooge (by jetting), I am of course assuming a mechanically sound bike. There are of course a few specific mechanical issues that can cause spooge in an otherwise properly tuned engine, such as a leaking wet-side crank seal, but those circumstances are the exception, not the norm. The vast majority of spooge issues are jetting related.

:thumbsup:

Ill have to look into this, thanx...................