Sign in to follow this  

Hunting season

Just a reminder that hunting seasons start this weekend here in Colorado. :ride: So, just some thoughtful suggestions. :applause: Most hunters will be in the field at dawn and dusk. Really all day, but these tend to be the most important times. Be respectful, please, Hunters get only short times of year to hunt, you get to ride all year. Hunters face the same problems you do. Resources dwindling, including place to hunt etc. The noise and etc can be very disturbing to those looking for peace and quiet, away from the city. The commotion and noise can ruin a stalk that may have taken all morning, or all day for that matter. Don't expect the hunters to welcome you readily, your the one intruding, so your responsibility is to be the respectful one. So do the right thing, and try to not make any enemies out there. We have enough already. An you would be surprised to find out how many hunters ride dirt bikes. Sure is embarrassing when someone misbehaves. Especially when you live on both sides. Archery season starts this weekend, Muzzle loader starts on about Sept 10th. There is a break from late Sept until 2nd week or so of Oct. Then Rifle seasons until mid Nov. Thanks. :thumbsup:

As someone who waits all year for hunting season, all I can say is "yep".

Please don't shoot the the bikers if they do piss you off! Camo is hard to see when riding. Good luck with your hunt!

Absolutely! We all need to figure this multi use thing out, or loose it to the anti's forever. Just a little thoughtfulness, and respect all around would go a long way. Yes I put more time and energy into my hunting ever year than anything else, and the time is short, but the rewards are undescribabable.

Any paticular riding areas to avoid? I saw some hunters in Rampart last year, is this an area to avoid?

So I am supposed to be going riding at "the place that shall not be named" on the 31st.

It is not closed until after Labor Day so I am within my rights to be riding that day even though bow season is open.

We will not be riding anywhere near dawn or dusk though.

Thoughts, opinions?

However, it seems if the season is open there, it is open everywhere else I would go ride as well so there is not alternative to stay away from hunters except the track.

That was my plan, to a tee!

:thumbsup:

It isn’t practical to quit riding during hunting season.

There is a hunting season from Mid August to mid November.

When you consider a lot of the high country has snow until mid July.

You either ride the high country 3 or 4 weeks a year or ride during hunting season.

What I do is try to get on the trails 8:30//9:00 am and be off by 3:30//4:00 pm.

Run a Quite pipe and be real considerate; And slow down around hikers and stop around horse riders

George Gangler

george@arvadacycle.com

www.arvadacycle.com

Arvada Cycle

10940 W 44th Ave

Wheat Ridge Co. 80033

303-422-3957

It is nice to see that some people still use their heads! I hunt and ride and so do many others--using four-wheelers to get to their stands. You are absolutely right, if we can't share, it gets closed to ALL of us.

Here is the yearly calendar showing fall hunting dates for places I ride in CO and NM. The calendar helps me decide where to ride, so I can avoid, as much as possible, any conflicts with hunters.

Tech info

Scroll down to the bottom. :thumbsup:

It's a difficult combination to combine. But Arvadageorge has the right idea. Never going to be perfect, and most hunters don't want to be anywhere near a road, but I have been a long way from a road, and crossed bikers. So as i said, a little, or more appropriately a lot of courtesy, thoughtfulness and respect should be granted all around. I don't always get it, but I try to give it. My hunting season last a max of about 4 weeks a year, the rest of th time I'm ridding and other things. To me those are the most precious weeks of the year!

So I am supposed to be going riding at "the place that shall not be named" on the 31st.

It is not closed until after Labor Day so I am within my rights to be riding that day even though bow season is open.

We will not be riding anywhere near dawn or dusk though.

Thoughts, opinions?

However, it seems if the season is open there, it is open everywhere else I would go ride as well so there is not alternative to stay away from hunters except the track.

I was riding at this place you speek of last year on the 31st. I saw a few hunters, but it seemed like they were just setting up camp and getting ready for their hunt. Brad.

It isn’t practical to quit riding during hunting season.

There is a hunting season from Mid August to mid November.

When you consider a lot of the high country has snow until mid July.

You either ride the high country 3 or 4 weeks a year or ride during hunting season.

What I do is try to get on the trails 8:30//9:00 am and be off by 3:30//4:00 pm.

Run a Quite pipe and be real considerate; And slow down around hikers and stop around horse riders )

Thanks for the tips. We are coming out from CA. Sept 15 to ride and explore the White Tops Area. Never been their. Any tips on that area? Is it worth going their?

If any one has ridden their where do you stage from. I will be pulling a 21 ft. toy hauler with a 2x2 pickup. Any camping info.

Thanks Ken

Any paticular riding areas to avoid? I saw some hunters in Rampart last year, is this an area to avoid?

I don't think firearms are allowed in the main RR riding area. But if someone knows differently let me know.

open carry of firearme is allowed anywhere in CO except in areas designated by property owners and government establishments. rampart is not one of those. I have encountered hunters and firearm enthusiasts there for years.

You CANNOT carry a loaded firearm on an OHV during hunting season.

but you can carry the firearm...that was the question. there are tons of hunters who hunt standing next to thier ohv.

This is true.

I would prefer to "harvest" from my truck :thumbsup: but they won't let me.

Seriously though, the elk need a little pressure to get them to move, depending on the area. I've never had a problem with anyone on any ohv during hunting season, interfiering with the hunt...other than the fact that I don't have one.

There is so much (formerly roaded areas) wilderness areas that you can't get to except on horseback or foot, that ohvs really don't factor in.

2006 Colorado Big Game Brochure, Page 7

IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO:

1. Have a loaded (in the chamber) rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle, including a motorcycle. Muzzleloading rifles are considered unloaded if the percussion cap or shotshell primer is removed, or if powder is removed from the flashpan.

2. Carry firearms (except handguns) on an OHV during deer, elk, pronghorn and bear seasons unless they are unloaded in the chamber and magazine. Firearms (except handguns) and bows carried on an OHV must be fully enclosed in a hard or soft case. Scabbards or cases with open ends or sides prohibited.

------------------

My loaded Para .45 is legal to carry when I ride my motorcycles, and I do carry now and then, even during hunting season.... legally. :thumbsup:

This is true.

I would prefer to "harvest" from my truck :thumbsup: but they won't let me.

Seriously though, the elk need a little pressure to get them to move, depending on the area. I've never had a problem with anyone on any ohv during hunting season, interfiering with the hunt...other than the fact that I don't have one.

There is so much (formerly roaded areas) wilderness areas that you can't get to except on horseback or foot, that ohvs really don't factor in.

So we don't have to cower and surrender ohv trails in the fall if hunters just go where they won't be bothered by vehicles if they don't want to be around that scene? What a concept! I've been wondering for a long time why there is this idea that hunting supercedes everyone elses rights--being armed? What? I'm serious,

So we don't have to cower and surrender ohv trails in the fall if hunters just go where they won't be bothered by vehicles if they don't want to be around that scene? What a concept! I've been wondering for a long time why there is this idea that hunting supercedes everyone elses rights--being armed? What? I'm serious,

Yep, You got it.

Usually there are a few hunters (most who are successful at all) fill their tags in the fisrt 4 hours of each season and spend the rest of the 4.5 days hunting in vien. But, lay blame on everything including the same OHVs that they themselves use for not filling their tags.

Where I hunt for one of my tags, the elk head straight for these deep canyons that you would never be able to get the animal out of. I usually get skunked there. But it is still a great time. If I want to see elk I walk DEEP into the DESIGNATED wilderness areas. The elk know where the pressure is and where to go to avoid it. You walk ten miles and see elk and don't shoot because you know that the work isn't worth it.

The only reason that I would not ride in an area that is heavily hunted is do to out of state hunters that are about as smart as a rock. THey shoot at anything and are careless.

That said, I still repect the limited amount of time a hunter gets (usually 5 days) to fill his/hers tags as I'm one and the elk know exactly what a Polaris sounds like in the fall.