Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak at left crankcase cover

After recent valve replacement and having to remove the left crankcase to realign the timing chain. I put on a new gasket, and added a little oil to moisten the gasket, at the parts clerk advise. SOB leaked. Not bad, but any leak IMO is unnacceptable. The harder/faster I rode the more it leaked.

No biggy. Bought another $10 gasket, cleaned everything up real good and installed dry with some blue permatex silicone neatly on both sides. Let dry 24 hrs, added oil and went to my riding area. Still leaking

Seems to be leaking around the clutch cable mounting bracket and that little rubber grommet for the stator wires.

You guys have any experience like this? Any solutions? :thumbsup:

Yeah, dont put anything on the new gasket especially that slippery silicone stuff.!! Make sure you dont have any dings in your sealing surface. You should have known that.

Thanks man. Silicone is no good for this application? I've always had good luck with it on cars and lawn equip. I'm suspect of that rubber grommet.

my neighbor uses it on all motors. his quad, his neighbors quad, my 80 wen he rebuilt the top end for me, his race car. never seen a problem with silicone.

You shouldn't need any silicone on there unless there's damage to the seating surface. Clean it up real good, then see where it's leaking. If it's hard to see where it's leaking sprinkle baby powder on it.

like fred said, befor you put the new gasket in, make sure you take a razer to get all the rest of the old gasket off (every little piece), then take some rubbing alcohol and whipe down the case, and the cover, that should do the trick, then instal it dry

Thanks for the feedback everybody. That's pretty much the way I installed it each time, with the exception of the dry install. Maybe that's the prob. I'm gonna try to crank down the bolts a little more... but it looks like I'm looking at gasket #3.

maybe hit the sealing surface with a piece of sand paper, not to hard to put dips in the metal, but for gasket remains.

....the cam chain tensioner! :ride: Man do I feel stupid. I rode a couple laps on the smaller circuits in our riding area, and always stop for a drink and quick breather before jumping on the longer ones. I looked down to see what was doin' and I looked down just in time to see that sucker d...r...i....p....

Easy fix. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing a leak after pulling it and the left case cover. Thanks again for all the input :thumbsup: