Sign in to follow this  

three dumb questions

Here are three dumb questions I've been wondering about for a while:

1. Why don't they put grease fittings on my yz250f or my kid's ttr125 suspension linkage? What a time saver that would be!

2. Whats up with the plastic tab that wraps around the crossbar on most number plates? The bolts seem to hold it fine. Is it some AMA rule?

3. On my 05YZ250F Is it normal to see a couple of small metal flakes in my SCOTTS SS oil filter every time I change my oil?

Anybody?

1. Cheapness, I have taken the time on every bike I have to drill and tap a grease zerk into every bearing location on my bikes. Or maybe its because nobody knows how to grease anything anymore-check under any new car or PU.

2. I cut off the wrap around tab on the Mrs TTR plate so that I could install a handlebar bag so I don't have to her packmule, and it has held up great.

3. How big of flakes are we talking? Corn chips? or just glittery dust?

VERY small silver glittery metal flakes. I change oil and clean filter every 3-4 hours. Shell Rotella synthetic.

1. So you have to pay the dealer to replace the bearings because they go out faster

2. I cut mine off

3. You will have a few flakes in the filter. I have magnetic drain plugs and they are always coming up with stuff on them.

Where are those silver metal flakes coming from? Cylinder wall? Rings? Clutch? It really bugs me every time I see it. My Yamaha payment book is not nearly thin enough yet!!!!

I think the strap on the number plate is there to keep the front brake line from getting cought on the number plate, when the suspension compresses.

Jeez, I think that is a good point . I just looked at my bike and it could catch on the top of the plate when the forks hit hard. Have you guys that cut it off had that happen? I don't want to cut mine off, just wondering why it's there.

I have had my brake line do that. But it only happened becuase the brake cable guide came off, so nothing was keeping the brake line back. But with the cable guide on it, it won't go over.

So we are back to why is that tab there??????????? I think it may be some throwback AMA rule from back "in the day"

I think it is there to keep you number plate attached to your bike incase the bolt that holds it in comes off. Or in my situation last time out, have the number plate break off where it bolts on. Even though it will still stay on because of the cable guide. That is what I think.

In a crash a while ago that strap on the number plate some how snapped in half on my bike. I think it's there because of what socalrider said.

There are no grease zerks because Yamaha wants you to take it apart to lube the linkage bearings correctly. The sleeves that are used in the linkage joints would keep grease from lubricating the inner bearings.

Modern dirt bikes are already very expensive. Manufacturers could easily add features like that to their bikes, but that would certainly add to the initial cost.

Weight would be another issue. Zerks wouldn't be much but every little part adds up.

I hope in the future these bikes will have seperate engine and transmission oil. Then these sweet high revving four strokes wouldn't have to deal with the contaminants the come from the trany.

#2 The strap is for the brake cable.

On my last bike I cut it off and I would notice the cable catching it all the time, but it would just pull the plate to the side and come off.

After a while my plate was bent so it would happen more and more.

The metal flakes in the filter are mostly likely clutch particles. As to why no grease fittings, I dunno. Ive seen lots of grease fittings strip-out and break off of snowmobile suspensions over the years, so maybe thats why. Also, dirt/dust can pack into the fitting so tightly that they could plug up over time.

There are no grease zerks because Yamaha wants you to take it apart to lube the linkage bearings correctly. The sleeves that are used in the linkage joints would keep grease from lubricating the inner bearings.

what inner bearings?

the only thing thats past the sleeve that goes through the beaings is the accual bolt

I agree that it seems a lot to ask of oil to lube both clutch and engine. Do Honda clutches last longer?

heavy zerk fittings? maybe I should develop and market titanium zerk fittings!

heavy zerk fittings? maybe I should develop and market titanium zerk fittings!

While you're at it, whip up a Ti cup holder. Navagating a whoop section with both hands on the bars would be a nice change.

Zerks can not adequately grease the bearings in the linkage or the steering column. The grease HAS to go on the needle bearings where the sleeves rotate on, then the bolts go inside of the sleeves. There is NO way a zerk can grease between the bolt and the sleeve, and no way it can get between the sleeve and the needle bearings - very tight tolerances...

Have a look at the following links and try to figure out how you would fit in zerks that will properly do the job of greasing the needle bearings, the bolts and the sleeves that the bolts go through :thumbsup: If you can figure out how to do that, sell your ideas to the manufacturers - I don't think they are deliberately trying to make life hard for us, it is just the nature of how these bearings work that won't allow them to fit in zerks that will be effective.

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/link/index.html

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/steering/index.html

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/swingarm/index.html