Sign in to follow this  

What is Yamaha thinking?

Just got back from a cruise around the town (remote).

While it is expensive to make a WR street-legal and then SM makeover, I will argue that this is the best purpose for this bike!

Yamaha should do this from the factory! Sell alot of bikes and give the Husky and DRZ a run for the money.

Now I will be forced to buy a 250 two stroke for trails. Why, the WR is a heavy pig on the trail! Great motor, rides good, a true desert machine, and sucks in the tight forrest here in Nor Cal.

Thanks-had to get that off my chest. :thumbsup:

Yamaha does make a dual-sport bike: the XT 225. Granted, its not in the same league as the DRZ, but it gets the job done.

They should have brought the 660 to the states a while ago...

yama01_b.jpg

XT6609.JPG

You want a light trail bike with a factory plate look at the Husky TE250

Yamaha does make a dual-sport bike: the XT 225. Granted, its not in the same league as the DRZ, but it gets the job done.

I really do not think a 225 with old 4 stroke designs is up to par, the WR will flat out smoke a DRZ. I am talking about a 450 with all the mods done with 14/42 gearing. Smooth as silk power delivery that will run with the best and great light handling. I hate excess wieght and that is why I love it for street/dual-purpose and want a YZ 250 for dirt.

My first D/S was a 79 XT 500 in 79. That bike at the time was great-now nawwww I'll pass. Why do we we see 225 to with the same basic designs to go against the husky, ktm, as well as the aprilla. They have the WR already in production! Major case of rectalcranial inversion on Yamaha's part

Yes, the WR450 is a great street/SM bike. I had to do a lot of custom work to get it there, but its nice and where I spend most of my riding time. Dirt-only guys have no idea just how fun carving on pavement is!

For the trails, I would love to have a bike 50 pounds lighter. I think that I could live with finessing a YZ250F through the woods. But having 2 bikes is not an option for me, so I'll just have to enjoy the 450 with the dirt wheels when offroading...

Yes, the WR450 is a great street/SM bike. I had to do a lot of custom work to get it there, but its nice and where I spend most of my riding time. Dirt-only guys have no idea just how fun carving on pavement is!

For the trails, I would love to have a bike 50 pounds lighter. I think that I could live with finessing a YZ250F through the woods. But having 2 bikes is not an option for me, so I'll just have to enjoy the 450 with the dirt wheels when offroading...

My long lost brother :thumbsup:

They should have brought the 660 to the states a while ago...

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause::applause:

What is the wieght

Roughly the weight of a WR450 + a YZ250...

Mr CHP would have me, I have the Napa Valley and all of it's great curves here but alot of highway patrol as well.

Are there any good radar detectors for cycles?

I ride a WR400 that can go either way (2 sets of wheels) and totally agree that Yam could kill the DRZ-SM with this bike with a dual-sport kit and motard rims. I run 16/42 gearing for street and 14/46 for dirt. Same length chain: 110 links.

For nice tight road courses the bike is a blast (eg. Summit Point RAceway Shanandoah circuit). The stock saddle though was designed by an engineer from Hades.