Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Tire Question

I changed the rear tire on the NOX for the first time time this afternoon. And i screwed up.

There are some things I am good at, but motorcycle mechanics is at the top of that short list; although i am learning!!!

I bought the new rubber online.

The old tire was a Pirelli Supercorsa 150/60ZR/17

I asked a couple of friends what that meant in terms of replacement size, and today I learned that I was misinformed (at least I learned).

I bought an Avon Azaro AV50-SP: 160/60ZR/17

So the new tire interferes JUST A BIT with the travel of the chain.

Here's the stupid question:

Do you think there's enough rubber on the side of the tire that I can cut it down a little so it won't rub?

Or do I chalk this up to stupidity and call it a lesson learned and buy the right size?

If the latter is the correct response:

anyone in the market for a brand new Avon Azaro AV50-SP: 160/60XR/17 ?

I think I would be more concerned about keeping the tire balanced and how trimming would effect handling of the bike. Will you be satisfied with the way it will look? How much is "just a bit"? I would put the proper size tire on. :thumbsup:

or you could pull a quad rider move and burn the sides down by doing a burnout and leaning to the side :thumbsup:

you'll need to take 10 millimeters off of it to make it fit. thats nearly half an inch.. i would buy the right size tire.

150= 150 millimeters WIDTH of the tire

60= 60% ASPECT RATIO. (sidewall height) 60% of the width (150 X .60= 90millimeters sidewall height)

Z is your speed rating. R17 is Rim size. =)

150= 150 millimeters WIDTH of the tire

60= 60% ASPECT RATIO. (sidewall height) 60% of the width (150 X .60= 90millimeters sidewall height)

Z is your speed rating. R17 is Rim size. =)

Thank you.

I wish I'd known that a week ago :thumbsup:

you'll need to take 10 millimeters off of it to make it fit. thats nearly half an inch.. i would buy the right size tire.

I was thinking one 5 mm to make it fit like the old one (the other 5mm is on the other side, no?)

But I might only have to take off 2 - 3 mm to make it fit.

at any rate, your recommendation is duely noted.

I think I need to buy a new tire.

Dang it!

dont buy tires on the enternet, unleses you know what your buying and have bought it before.. because, now you cant return it.. but if it was a dealer ( my dealer) theyde say.. oh ok.. give us that tire back and well give you the correct sized one for no additional charge..

So I took your collective advice and spent the morning tire shopping.

I physically went into 4 motorcycle shops, then I finally just called a fifth.

No one had a 150/17 in stock.

The funny thing is, in 3 of the shops, the salesperson strongly encouraged me to put a 160/17 on the rim. "It will be no problem at all", one of the guys said!

I finally found a good price on a closeout of Supercorsa Pros...they even had them in the right size - - should be here in three days.

Thanks for your help!

The funny thing is, in 3 of the shops, the salesperson strongly encouraged me to put a 160/17 on the rim. "It will be no problem at all", one of the guys said!

Tires also differ slightly in size between brands. Sort of like all size 10 shoes will fit a little differently... so, he may very well have seen a different brand of 160 tire fit before.

Gotta do your homework before varying from stock, check the internet boards for your exact application... and be prepared to screw up every now and then! :thumbsup:

I had a 120/60R17 on the front of my Ducati, wanted to go with a little higher profile in the front to protect my rims and raise the front a little, some said I could go with a 120/70 and be good... I ended up going with a Dunlop 120/65, and it was a darn good thing, a few more mm and I would have had to remove my front fender. :ride:

If you're looking at a 2 to 3mm clearance problem, how about putting spacers behind the rear sprocket to move it out a little? Also doublecheck the alignment of the wheel on the swingarm. If it's too far forward on the non-sprocket side it could cause rubbing. I've put huge tires on my bikes and never had a rubbing problem. Seems strange to me.

Dave