Sign in to follow this  

Defective Trailer Caused flood

I just bought a brand new toy hauler less than a month ago. I took it out for its first trip this past weekend. I took a shower and when I got out the whole trailer was flooded. My storage compartment, my electrical compartment, the front end of the trailer and who knows where else. I took the panel off to see what had happened and realized that the shower was not even hooked up. The water from the shower drained right into the trailer. I took it back to the dealership and I am demanding the trailer be replaced. They are saying that it can be repaired and giving me the run around. Hopefully they just do the right thing and replace my trailer.

Does anyone have any input on this situation? Will the trailer ever be the same if it is repaired? What problems will I face with this kind of water damage?

20060818_0024.jpg

20060818_0023.jpg

20060818_0021.jpg

20060818_0020.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/phlawluss/FLOOD/20060818_0019.jpg

20060818_0018.jpg

20060818_0015.jpg

20060818_0008.jpg

20060818_0007.jpg

20060818_0006.jpg

20060818_0005.jpg

20060818_0004.jpg

20060818_0003.jpg

20060818_0002.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

That sucks man! :ride:

I used to work at an RV dealer and your problem should have been noticed on the PDI (pre delivery inspection). RV techs get paid VERY well to do a proper PDI which includes flushing the entire potable water system. The leak should have been noticed when they tested the shower.

Make a big fuss and tell them you may have to go to the manufacturer and tell them that their dealer isn't doing proper PDI's (a BIG no-no). Also ask the dealer for the original work order the PDI was done on (I bet they don't have one even written). If they do have a work order see if the date corresponds to before you purchased the RV (They could have written one when the complaint came in, trying to cover their butt). If it hasn't been PDI'd make a fuss that the propane system probably wasn't purged and tested properly either and it's a safety issue. Then they will be putty in your hands! :thumbsup:

Make sure you let us know how you make out...

thanks for the great information... There was a lot of things that were wrong with the trailer that should have been caught. The fuel station didnt pump gas, the grey water sensor was inop, and one of the brake lights were out. Someone messed up and it wasnt me. I want what I paid for. A brand new trailer. Not a refurbished water damaged trailer.

Thats going to help out alot :thumbsup:

What a mess!! Where did you purchase it from,what make model? Charlie

You can get alot of your questions answered at www.rv.net. Everyone on that site recommends a detailed PDI on the trailer before you even sign the papers. Unfortunately your situation is not that uncommon.

Their obligation is to fix it. They dont have to replace it. When I say fix, I mean fix everything damaged. Wet wood can be dried, doesnt need to be all replaced. If the leak was over a long period of time, themthe wood may need to be replaced. You can demand a new DVD player from circuit city etc, but you cant just "exhange" something with a title like a trailer. You own it, unless you are willing to pay the difference in depreciation from it being "used" now. Basically, trading it in for a new. They may extend a warranty for anything that could result from this leak, but its highly unlikely you will have trouble. Just make sure they dry out everything. Put a fan on it, the moving air will move all moisture quickly!

Check out Trailerlife.com. There is a Toyhauler forum where they can answer ANYTHING. I thinks it's as good as TT.

Their obligation is to fix it. They dont have to replace it. When I say fix, I mean fix everything damaged. Wet wood can be dried, doesnt need to be all replaced.

Get busy with a hair dryer, Wood tends to rot is it gets wet, and even if its dried out, it has a good chance of rotting.

Get busy with a hair dryer, Wood tends to rot is it gets wet, and even if its dried out, it has a good chance of rotting.

Thats only if the water has a chance to soak in over a long period of time.

Hopefully the dealer will replace the trailer, but they don't HAVE to. Just make a big deal about it. Blackmail them if necessary. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, make mention of the possibilty of mould. People and insurance companies go nuts when they hear that word! That should "motivate" the dealer.

On cars there is the lemon law for this kind of thing. Something like a 30 day cooling off period where you can ask for your money back (not sure if they even have this in the States). Maybe talk to your local ombudsman if it gets into a pissing match.

They may not be obligated to replace it, but if you are a burr under their saddle they might just please you to get you off their back. Car dealers see this all the time and are constantly buying cars back. Just be careful if they are the only dealer in your area. When it comes time to do another warranty claim you don't want to have to drive 100 miles to get it fixed.

If you are a member of Good Sam club then write to their consumer section. I see every month where they go to bat for consumers and most of the time get what was wanted even when the person themselves were having no luck.