Sign in to follow this  

Hand Grips

I just installed my new Pro Taper Contours, and the damn left grip won't stay on! I tried using hairspay and leaving it over night but it doesn't wanna dry and it just acts as lube when coming off. Am I not waiting long enough for the hair spray to dry? Is there anything else I can try?

Grip Glue. I use just grip glue, but some people use both grip glue, and wire. When my parts come in, I will use both, even though I haven't had a problem with just the glue.

Here is the full proof way, get 3M double sided tape apply it to the bar, then WD-40 the inside of the grip, slip on quickly, let dry for a couple of days the WD will break down the tape and create a sticky grip, safety wire, done. Your grip will never move again.

Here is the full proof way, get 3M double sided tape apply it to the bar, then WD-40 the inside of the grip, slip on quickly, let dry for a couple of days the WD will break down the tape and create a sticky grip, safety wire, done. Your grip will never move again.

can you get it back off :thumbsup:

can you get it back off :thumbsup:

yeah with a jackhammer some dynomite and balc magic

I never have to to use glue on my grips :thumbsup: !!! I can baerly get grips on and when they rip, i just cut them!

same here, i use glue, but when i wanna take grips off i just cut them down the middle, (i have a protaper throttle tube so its ok to cut em) but i get the glue off using "goo gone" its amazing stuff, disolved the glue stuk to the bars in jsut a few seconds

First, wash off that hair spray and never use water soluable stuff on the inside of your grips again. Wrap the bar tightly with friction tape, but leave about 3/8" or so gap between wraps, just overlap the tape at both ends. Squirt some lighter fluid (acetone, naphtha or laquer thinner will probably work, too) onto the wrapped bar, the grip will slide on like it's greased. Let it dry overnight. That grip won't be going anywhere. To remove it later, just slice the grip and peel it off. In the 25 years of using this method, I've never had a grip come loose or even twist. I've never wired a grip on.

If you lack the above materials, some people claim that straight gasoline alone will weld the grip on, just pour some into the grip, let it sit for a minute, dump out the gas on slide the grip on.

First, wash off that hair spray and never use water soluable stuff on the inside of your grips again. Wrap the bar tightly with friction tape, but leave about 3/8" or so gap between wraps, just overlap the tape at both ends. Squirt some lighter fluid (acetone, naphtha or laquer thinner will probably work, too) onto the wrapped bar, the grip will slide on like it's greased. Let it dry overnight. That grip won't be going anywhere. To remove it later, just slice the grip and peel it off. In the 25 years of using this method, I've never had a grip come loose or even twist. I've never wired a grip on.

If you lack the above materials, some people claim that straight gasoline alone will weld the grip on, just pour some into the grip, let it sit for a minute, dump out the gas on slide the grip on.

hey DEE DEE DEE! i can tel you why your not having your grips come off, ITS because your literaly melting them. the gas disolves the material of the grips,

No need for tape, glue, or anything other than clean bars, air gun, grips, and safety wire. Put the tip of the air nozzle under the edge of the grip, hit the air, expand the grip, and slide it on. Use three wraps of safety wire evenly spaced apart and the grip won't go anywhere. If you get a new set of grips to replace the ones on there before they are worn out and want to keep the old ones, cut the safety wire, stick the air nozzle under the edge of the grip,

hit the air, and slide the grip off. I've even taken the throttle side off before, stuck the air nozzle in the end of the throttle tube, and blew the other side off. I did a set of grips last night in under 15 minutes and never got in a hurry.

No need for tape, glue, or anything other than clean bars, air gun, grips, and safety wire. Put the tip of the air nozzle under the edge of the grip, hit the air, expand the grip, and slide it on. Use three wraps of safety wire evenly spaced apart and the grip won't go anywhere. If you get a new set of grips to replace the ones on there before they are worn out and want to keep the old ones, cut the safety wire, stick the air nozzle under the edge of the grip,

hit the air, and slide the grip off. I've even taken the throttle side off before, stuck the air nozzle in the end of the throttle tube, and blew the other side off. I did a set of grips last night in under 15 minutes and never got in a hurry.

I don't know man, you're grips never move, with just safety wire?

If everything is clean and dry when installing them, no problem. I'll sometimes wipe the bars with 90% alcohol to make sure there's no oily fingerprints or anything else on the bars that would allow the grips to spin. The alcohol evaporates almost instantly. Now, if you do a lot of wet riding in the rain or where it's muddy and you drop the bike a few times so the end of the bar is submerged, then yes, use some type of adhesive. I ride mostly on groomed MX tracks and some single track woods riding and never had a problem with not using adhesive. And, believe me; riding CR500s, I have pretty much a death grip going at all times. :thumbsup:

I use the same method as jbird710 on 750cc flattrack bikes and have never had a problem. Of course we never race in the rain so it doesn't get wet. I also wired the grips on my 250x but it has hand guards so I'm not sure if air will help removing them, with the end of the grips cut off. But I think air is definitely the way to go when putting them on! :thumbsup: