Sign in to follow this  

04 TE250 oil change....

Manual says 1.48 quarts..... i see some guys running 1.2, others running 1.4..

but everybody says NOT to use the oil check screw because of the stripping-thread problem.

General consensus probably is that it doesn't matter, but is 1.2 quarts acceptable for a motor that gets rev'd quite a bit?...

What I did was to buy a cheap Tupperware type container and after experimenting marked it with a sharpie while the oil check screw was out... Later it was said that the oil check screw was put in a lower position than it was supposed to be so I have been putting a bit more in.

I use the screw on my 2004 TE250, I check the oil before every ride after warming up the engine, and I use the screw hole to check the level following oil changes just BE VERY CAREFUL when tightening it. If you're using a ratchet and socket, grab the center of the ratchet handle rather than the end so you have less torque.

I actually welded up a T-handle 1/4" socket driver that I use with an 8mm socket for that oil bolt as well as the plastics, etc because I like the feel of it for applying torque gently... helps to prevent over-tightening...

Yeah, i've used the hole for previous oil changes. I never had any problems and wasn't even aware of the problem until reading today. After reading though, i'm sure i'll manage to buggar the thing :thumbsup:

I never paid attention to how much oil i dumped in,... just filled until it weeped out a bit, put the bolt in and dumped in a glob more for good measure.

I'll probably just keep doing that and use extreme care on the bolt

Seems everyone has their own approach to oil changes. Mine is to just add the amount specified in the manual and never fuss with the check screw.

R

So how do you check your oil between changes? (Are you one of those guys that changes their oil every ride :thumbsup: ) ?

It will be interesting to see if the oil screw remains the same on the 2007 models. After 5 months it is really my only complaint. After the helicoil came out the first time I removed the screw I install a new one with Red lock-tite careful to keep it on the out side thread. Haven't removed it since. Think I'm going to replace it with a TIME-SERT this fall.

http://www.timesert.com/

If you dont have a puddle under your bike in the garage and it is not blowing blue smoke where do you think oil will go between rides,you would loose more doing the check by leaning the bike over and having some flow out the check hole.The main thing that drives me nuts is different quantity's for different years,with the same crankcase,the difference is different heights for the check

hole,and different quantity's for different applications,eg less oil for Supermoto,

high revs and some pucks into the airbox,be nice to get some clarity on this.

What quantity's are the desert 250s running and are they blowing oil into the airbox with a bit more.

Yeah, i've used the hole for previous oil changes. I never had any problems and wasn't even aware of the problem until reading today. After reading though, i'm sure i'll manage to buggar the thing :thumbsup:

I never paid attention to how much oil i dumped in,... just filled until it weeped out a bit, put the bolt in and dumped in a glob more for good measure.

I'll probably just keep doing that and use extreme care on the bolt

The above is how you do it.

The above is how you do it.

Same here! - I've had no problems to date.

Make sure you wipe any grit & dirt away from the threads & the copper washer then apply a torque setting of "finger tight + a fly sh!t". I even thought of an idea of using single wrap of teflon thread tape just to seal the threads and hold the screw tight so that you don't need to torque it up so tight.

That screw is a bitch and not the best design. Mine was retapped and a larger screw used. Fine now.

I have just filmed a 15min Husqvarna oil and filter change.

Here you go

It will be interesting to see if the oil screw remains the same on the 2007 models. After 5 months it is really my only complaint. After the helicoil came out the first time I removed the screw I install a new one with Red lock-tite careful to keep it on the out side thread. Haven't removed it since. Think I'm going to replace it with a TIME-SERT this fall.

http://www.timesert.com/

I had the same problem, Take a look at this link **edit ** links must not be allowed look for the 7602 racing oil bolt kit

http://www.**********.com/prod_husky_oil_bolts.php

Makes changing the oil so much easyer too as they all take the size wrench, the screens actually come out on the bolt so no more fishing for them:thumbsup: