Sign in to follow this  

xr400 supermoto ??

I have a 2002 xr400 Thinking of making it a supermoto with 17" wheels. Is it worth spending the money on a set of wheels 1100.00 Has anybody done it. :thumbsup::ride:

Yep Ive been wanting to do that to my XR440, for ages too.

But I worked out that its just not worth it in the end.

Plus the XR4 doesnt have enough power to be a SM.

Its great for a trail bike but not and SM.

Thats why Im selling my XR440 & I just brought a new 05 KTM LC4 640 SM.

It ends up cheaper and better buying the real thing from factory with HEAPS more Power.

Plus with the XR conversion, its not only just a case of 17" rims and tyres, if your gona do it properly you need the Huge front brake disc & caliper, Front USD forks and the rest of what ever is involved in the conversion.

If you want an SM, just go buy a real one. :thumbsup:

hummm i beg to differ, i had a xr250 motaded and now i just finished my xr400 and i love it!!! its faster then two of my friends 500 and 550 suski, and its very stable on the hwy. i had it up to 150km/hr with no problems and thats with my friend following to confirm the speed. i am only 130 lbs at 5'6" so that might have some to do with my speed. but i would totally recommend it!!! plus i have the option to tell ppl i built it myself when they ask me what kind of bike it is.

it will cost you about $3500 to $4000 cdn depending on what u want but thats way cheaper then buying a whole new bike. if u wanna know more check out this site http://www.supermotojunkie.com/ but i will warn u that u will get addicted if u do it!!!!

The USD conversion isn't neccessary, I just did it cause I got a screaming deal on the forks and I am a machinist so fabing up spacers and stuff didn't cost a thing. Its a blast to ride, you won't be disappointed.

Guys, Nice conversions!! I was thinking of getting a set of wheels built up so I can use my bike on the street and then switch back to dirt wheels for the weekends. My ride to work is only 60MPH tops on windy back roads, perfect for some SM wheels. What's the best way of accomplishing this? Should I just find a set of original hubs and build up the wheels myself? The bike I will be doing this to is a 1995 XR250L.

Thanks in advance!

James

It would be the cheapest way, find some used 250L hubs and have them laced up to some 17's. You can use your stock rotor, the larger one allows better braking since you use the front more on the street but I found the stock one to be adequate.

Yep Ive been wanting to do that to my XR440, for ages too.

But I worked out that its just not worth it in the end.

Plus the XR4 doesnt have enough power to be a SM.

Its great for a trail bike but not and SM.

Thats why Im selling my XR440 & I just brought a new 05 KTM LC4 640 SM.

It ends up cheaper and better buying the real thing from factory with HEAPS more Power.

Plus with the XR conversion, its not only just a case of 17" rims and tyres, if your gona do it properly you need the Huge front brake disc & caliper, Front USD forks and the rest of what ever is involved in the conversion.

If you want an SM, just go buy a real one. :thumbsup:

Mate,

Some people put road wheels on their bikes but do not race SM. I personally love riding and have only one bike. To fix this I have a set of road wheels that I use midweek. It makes riding on bitumen smoother safer and a hellavalotta more fun.

As for speed, my own experience is that your average joe weekend road biker on a 1000cc is not likely to get away from an XR with road tyres if the road has no long straights. Besides properly sprocketted you can get as much speed as you you can handle.

Your solution of buying a new bike does not fit the budget of a lot of us. For the equivalent of (about) USD $300.00 I was able to fit my XR4 with road wheels and nice sticky tyres. This also meant I could put a softer compound set of knobbies on my dirt wheels seeing as I was never going to be using them on the road.

BTW and FYI, the vast majority of XRs in Aus are (or were originally) street legal. I know that this is different in the USA. But even for those who just want to join the SM scene, the conversion can be done very cheaply.

Another thing: Not everyone who races needs to win. If everybody was purely focused on being 1st, any given race would have its competitors reduced to the elite 3 or 4. And finally, it is quite amusing to point out that you can put an ordinary rider on the best bike and you will still get ordinary results. This weekend I was our riding on the track with a mate who rides an '89 CR500 2smoke. He was TOTALLY blowing away all the hotshots on their flash new CRF's and non-honda equivalents.

Meatbomb......

PS. I will post pics in my garage once I have washed my bike; we have water restrictions on at the moment so that will only be when I work up the enthusiasm to wash the bike using a bucket and sponge (hoses not allowed)

alright, so I am a newb... but WHEN i get a xr400 I want to have two sets of tires... one knobby and one SM set... cheap is good, I dont want to race, but with the mountains so close, I want both options...

anyways, to set up a SM set of wheels I can get a second set of stock rims and cut the spokes and install a new set of rims on the hubs? can this be done at home? or is there a special machine that installs spokes? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but I want it to be safe.

would that be the easiest/cheapest way to get street rubber on the XR4?

AND, where would you buy the rims and new spokes?

Zach

easiest way is to get a set of 2nd hand honda wheels (disks and all). I use CB250R wheels but there are others. You will have to have the spacers machined to make all the bits line up and to accomodate the narrower axle on the XR. If your road tyres are very wide you may have to grind off the chainguard mount from the inside of the swinging arm.

In the case of the CB250R wheels the rear disk is compatible but you need to make a spacer for the front disk calliper. Depending on your front caliper you may also have to grind down one or two high spots (casting ridges??).

A standard road rear wheel will usually have a smaller sprocket than a dirt wheel and a bigger one will mess up your gearing (cuz you will be riding a 17" rim rather than an 18"); you might need a second chain.

Had a few PMs regarding the el cheapo SM wheels so I have posted a few pics in My Garage.

Also check out the Trailtech mounting plate using the original indicator and high beam lights. I needed this to fix the problem with the stock speedo over-reading with the 17" road wheels. Do not laugh too much at how I overcame the lack of permanent backlighting on the Enduance unit (that is the original speedometer bulb cable-tied to the stalk off the the base plate).

In fact laugh all you like it works and it cost me nothing.

I can post the dimensions of the wheel spacers if anyone is interested.

Meatbomb.........

true dat!! nice bike vintage!!! where did u get that rear fender? also what are your jetting settings? i cant get mine right

Rear fender is a Polisport , bought a few last year when they were still available, and got the pumper from XR's Only, and was prejetted for the 440. Everything seems to be spot on, as long as when cold I kick 5 or 6 times, throttle wfo, without ignition on. Once that is accomplished, I find tdc, turn on the key and she fires right up :thumbsup::applause: . Thanks for the compliment on the bike.

no need to convert just buy a xr sm factory. http://world.honda.com/news/2005/photo/2050316/index.html

I hope that you were just joking because there is a tendency on TT to reccomend buying new motorcycles (or parts thereof) to solve problems that could be dealt with on a smaller scale. Some guy posts he's having problems with a hill climb and 10 people tell him to ditch his 2-stroke. Why not tell him that the solution to his inability to hill climb is to get a more experienced rider to take the bike up for him. Kinda defeats the object of asking for advice doesn't it.

How nice to be able to buy a second motorcycle simply because you'd like to ride road and trail. Not happening in many people's book. Anyway, having those pointy bits on the tank just looks like radiator envy to me. I LIKE the fact that my XR does not have a radiator to bust and I'm not embarrased to be riding an air-cooled bike. And what's with the new-model CRF type styling? Either it's an XR or it's not.

rant mode disengaged:

Meatbomb.....