Sign in to follow this  

bike slipping in to nuetral

My bike slips into nuetral sometimes from 1st or 2nd gear. My z400 did the same thing. I even noticed it today when sitting at a red light. I had it in 1st with the clutch in and it popped into nuetral while I was idling.

Common problem? Easy fix?

It is not normal if it does it all the time. Sounds like it is not going completely in gear. If you have been jamming the shifter or if you have fallen on the shifter you may have something bent or worn. Look for something in the shift shaft train, shifting pawls, shift cam, shift arm stopper, gear shift arm stopper. Then again if it only happened once don't worry.

It's happened before and yesterday happened about 3 or 4 times during a 20 mile trip.

That is not normal if it is happening due to the bike but are you sure your foot isn't hitting it? Perhaps not your toe, maybe the sole of your boot's putting pressure on the arm of the shifter? Also check to make sure you have enough slack in the clutch cable, should have bit of free-play in the lever before there is pressure against the clutch mechanism. Also, if you haven't done it recently, remove the countershaft sprocket cover and clean it out. You can leave it off, just be sure to put the steel guard piece back on. The shifter and clutch operation arms are in there and can get clogged or side-pressure put on the shafts. -just to cover the basics before you tear it apart.

Not normal at all. When my bike was brand new it slipped into neutral a few times but now it never does.

If you riding with boots on and you haven't you may be hitting it with the steel tip. If your not, I would bet your clutch may need adjustment. My wife's bike had this issue. I adjusted her clutch and never happens now.

I don't have to tell you this but it is a dangerous condition to ride with, so I would get that fixed up ASAP.

Also, if I remember correctly you were having vibration problems. Not sure if just the regular DRZ vibrations from a solid mount engine but if you can ride another one see if it happens on that one or the vibration is the same.

Hope this helps.

vibration: yes, good idea. If that was from your drive-line (like a tight spot in the chain because of failing o-ring ready to seize) it is possible to be loading and unloading the drive enough to let it slip out of gear a bump or very light pressure on shafts or pedals.

Mine don't slip into neutral sitting still but she finds it when I'm going from 1st to 2nd or downshifting to 1st. It's usually from excessive cable play. Check your clutch lever play to make sure it doesn't have too much slack. I set my play for 1/2" or so. Seems to help.

My clutch lever hit my handguards. Maybe this is causing the problem.

???? :thumbsup: That is not right. Is it the knobs on the levers? If so just cut them off and smooth them out, did that with my bark busters to make them fit...

???? :thumbsup: That is not right. Is it the knobs on the levers? If so just cut them off and smooth them out, did that with my bark busters to make them fit...

Yep thats what I planned on doing. But it seemed to work just fine before. It may have slipped into nuetral once or twice but now it seems to be doing it more frequently.

Clutch is probably out of adjustment now, normal wear. You probably are not fully engaging.

Remember to grind down the sharp edges. I learned that the hard way.... :thumbsup:

Clutch is probably out of adjustment now, normal wear. You probably are not fully engaging.

Remember to grind down the sharp edges. I learned that the hard way.... :thumbsup:

What does this mean? I readjusted my clutch freeplay (put more freeplay in it) and it didnt slip into nutral when accelerating. But it was going into nuetral a lot when downshifting from 2nd.

I just put new clutch plates in there about a week ago as well.

I ran some errands today and about 7 out of 10 shifts from 1st to 2nd go right into nuetral. And it doesnt matter how hard I push the shifter down it almost always goes into nuetral from 2nd. When I want to go from 2nd to 1st gear I have to click the shifter twice once from 2nd to nuetral then again to 1st.

It doenst do it as bad going up to 2nd only about 1 out of 10 times.

I haven't took anything apart yet. I adjusted my cable and checked the linkage to the arm bu the case and evrything looks ok. Like I said I just replaced my plates (all of 'em). Maybe I did something wrong. I'll recheck to make sure I put the different plate in its correct spot. What should I check while I have the side cover off?

I think he means grind down the edge of the shift lever....doubtful this has anything to do with your problem. Did this start happening immediately after you changed your clutch?

Mine don't slip into neutral sitting still but she finds it when I'm going from 1st to 2nd or downshifting to 1st. It's usually from excessive cable play. Check your clutch lever play to make sure it doesn't have too much slack. I set my play for 1/2" or so. Seems to help.

Often is the cause of shifting issues.

Also be careful if you cut the balls off your levers, you will have to always have some kind of hand guard on in order to not create a skewer.

Im having some shifting issues on my bike as well. It has 1600 miles on it. It maybe started after I switched to synthetic (Mobile 1 Motorcycle) at 600 miles but that could be coincidence or my imagination.

It's sometimes hard to get back into first, even if I'm completely stopped. I have to roll the bike forward and backwards to get it into gear. I've been left at lights after they turn green! I hope learning how to shift hasn't harmed my gearbox.

The only bad noise I heard from it was going down a big hill when the gas cut out and engine died. I shifted down to neutral and it made a big clunk going from second. I switched to reserve and started the engine, back to second made the clunk again.

There's another problem too, sometimes right after I shift up I'll be accelerating and all the sudden rev limiter is kicking in because it slipped back down a gear. I think this may be me not kicking it all the way up? Only happed maybe a total of five times.

edit: I am going to inspect the clutch cable play and search some more before making a big deal out of it.

My levers are not hitting and the guards anymore and the freeplay is adjusted properly. The problem is elsewhere. I should have time to do some dismantling soon (not today though).

often shifting problems from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st or finding 1st at idle are caused by clutch cable tension being too loose (clutch not disengaging fully when the lever is compressed) and putting a small load on the gears. Solution:reduce freeplay just a bit. The correct freeplay (ignoring the manual I have never read) is just about 1/8". I set mine to just wiggle but not so tight that the clutch will slip under heavy (max) load. Also technique: I always blip the throttle when downshifting to match revs with the gear I am going into. I always blip the throttle off (does that make sense?-I mean let off the throttle for a fraction of a second) when shifting up to give the revs a chance to drop to match the gear I am going into.

Kalabula: you just installed new plates. Just friction plates? -just curious why you did so, were the others worn so the clutch was slipping? Were they glazed from slipping?

Regardless: new plates (and plates on new bikes) are thicker than old plates (requiring adjustment) and will tend to be grabby and make the transmission shift heavy and notchy for the first few hundred miles. I break in clutches by shifting often and being very sure and deliberate with my shifts. Load the clutch heavy by accelerating hard (no need to go wfo, just load it) after each shift for a few seconds. Dont slip the clutch any more than normal when breaking them in or they will glaze and have to be sanded down. Essentially break in new clutch plates the same as you would new brake pads.

another thing to look into is the second gear problem caused by loose cs sprocket. I havent any experience with this (yet) but it's worth a search for symptoms.