what bike

i ahve searched this topic but still ned some help making my final decision.

i have a cr80 now and i'm trying to decide which bike to buy a cr125 or a crf250r?? im 5'7 135 and i will be using it for mx ridingand am gunna try a few races but im not a fast rider at all. I'm hoping to ride lots next year and get really fast.!!

so would i be better off with a 125 or 250f?

thanks

The 250F is going to have a wider, more usable more novice friendly powerband. You dont have to be as preceise in timing your shifts and you dont have to keep it on the pipe as much to get everything out of it.

However, with all the valvetrain problems the CRFs are known for, Im not sure if Id go with the 250F.

Its kind of a lose-lose situation. You can go with the CR 125 and have the most underpowered 125 on the market or you can go with a CRF250R and face the potential valvetrain problems.

The 250Fs do have that sweet-looking dual exhaust setup though.

Tough call...

The 250F is going to have a wider, more usable more novice friendly powerband. You dont have to be as preceise in timing your shifts and you dont have to keep it on the pipe as much to get everything out of it.

However, with all the valvetrain problems the CRFs are known for, Im not sure if Id go with the 250F.

Its kind of a lose-lose situation. You can go with the CR 125 and have the most underpowered 125 on the market or you can go with a CRF250R and face the potential valvetrain problems.

The 250Fs do have that sweet-looking dual exhaust setup though.

Tough call...

im not buying brand new and my moms friends son rides pro so his dad would help me do the valves

i would go with the 125. Although the four strokes are easier to ride, chances are, if your novice, the 125 will make you a better rider. Ride the 125 for a year or two, then, if you feel youve reached the limits of the 125, make the transition to a 250f. Chances are you would ride the 250f faster because of having ridden the 125. To be honest, i think most people who start out riding 250f's, never having riden 125's get lazy. Rather then shift when they are supposed to, they just lugg it down.

as to your response. Its not that people don't maintain the bikes. Even if they are constantly getting the valves done, hondas are known for haveing a weak valve train. Even though four strokes have been around for a few years, the new high preformance ones are new to dirtbikes. One of the bigger problems with a lot of the new four strokes are the valve train. And it seems that honda is one that is really effected by it.

And why are you so dead set on getting a honda?

im not knocking honda here but the 2004 crf250f have the worst vavles ive ever seen.... i was looking at a 2004 and they guy selling it said he had 4 valve jobs in a year and a half.... i also know people who constantly have to get new valves with there 250f's.... i like hondas 450f but there 250f's just have too many motor problems ?

I ride a 06 crf250 and rode my cousins 06 cr125 today. I still love my crf ?:ride: , even though the ride on a 2t brought back the buzz. I'm much quicker on the crf. But I started on 125s. IMO if I started on a F I would not be as quick. Learin to keep a 125 in the band and stuff makes it a lot easier when you get a 250f. The 4 storke seems so easy towards a 125, if your used to a 125. I say stick wit a 125, less worries of valves and stuff. But when you get better on a 125 get a 250F. just my opinon. Do as you want. You know what will make you happy :applause: ! ( I did anyway)

If you worry about the valves then get the yzf... I know a lot of people that haven't had any problems with their crf valves though. Think it really depends on how you ride and maintain it.

But then again I know a guy who rides junior on a 05 cr450, always keeps it fresh with synthetic oil, filter, etc, and his intakes still went to 0.

I don't claim to know too much about these new four strokes, the power they have, or anything about them, although I have been riding 4 strokes my whole life, Xr's. but IMO the 2-strokes are the way to go in MX or SX.. I honestly cannot stand the fact that these new thumpers have all but killed 2 strokes. The sound, the smell of 2strokes... OOOHh I love it!! so much raw power under your ass.

And If you dont hold that clutch in or get in neutral somehow on the track after a crash you will be kickin for 20+ minutes on a 4stroke.

But I must admit the technology is cool, and I do still LOVE my 96XR200r... torquey powerhouse... get up any goatpath with that sucker...

Good luck anyways!! ?

I like the useable power of the 4stroke. Like on a 125 you have to have your wits about you. have it in the right gear. Keepin it in the band especially comin out of corners etc. Whereas the torque of the 4t reduces that.