Sign in to follow this  

please help

I have a 1995 Honda CR250... it runs great but I'm having clutch problems and i don't know what it is. When the bike is started and warm and i try to put it in gear it jumps forward like it wants to go. Do you think it is something small like the clutch cable or springs, or is it the disks or clutch basket? Please get back to me. Thank you

adjust your cable at the lever until it stops jumping and/or change the oil and see if it helps.

I would loosen the cable just a tad.

This is definitely where I would start...

My '94 CR250 has a little bit of a finicky clutch, if I don't keep it right about at 1/8" - 3/16" of lever free-play, it doesn't want to completely disengage...but just a tad too much and then it's overcorrecting...

BTW...are you keeping up with the regular stuff? Cable lubed? Cable routed correctly and not kinked or otherwise damaged?

I personally start with all the easiest and least expensive things first when trying to troubleshoot a problem, and keep going until I find the cause...

One last tidbit...My clutch action was improved vastly by switching to GM Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid, instead of the regular (and I'm sure cheap) motor oil the previous owner had used....

Good luck. You definitely have a great running, bulletproof CR in your stable.

I would try all of those thing, and if the problem still occurs then your clutch

basket may have groves on the outer fingers,this keeps the clutch plates from disengaging fully. you can remove outer clutch cover and pull the plates out and look at the basket.