Sign in to follow this  

Slipping Clutch

Ok, so i was doing some laps around my enduro track today and every now and then under hard, gripping excelleration the clutch slips.

I tore it down and checked for tollerances and every thing was in spec (plates, springs etc). What is causing the slipage? I noticed the plates were a bit glazed, whats the best way to de glaze them?? Sandpaper??

I take it that once i deglaze them the slippage should go away.

BTW, the lever got play.

Thanks

Usually once they slip, the heat that is generated frys them. You can try the sandpaper method, but it never worked for me.

Be sure to check the springs. I replace a clutch once, only to have it fry again right away. Turned out my springs were shot. New ones are only a few dollars extra.

Try using wet or dry on your plates; something like 200 grade or finer. Anything coarser will score the plates. Make sure the plates are spotless before you reassemble.

There seems to be three reasons for a slipping clutch:

Incompatible oil or oil additives;

Tired or out of service springs;

Tweaked motor leaves the clutch underpowered.

If you dunno what to do, whack some heavier springs in there.

Ive been running Delo 400 in it since day 1, you yanks call it chevron i think. The oils not the problem.

The plates didnt look fryed either, they just looked partially glazed.

It sounds like i have the same problem as you but i haven't bothered pulling my clutch apart yet, it all happen on this big hill climb my clutch started slipping really bad so i readjusted it and it was better but has never been the same since, i could try and take the clutch of my old mans bike it's a xr4 just an 01 model.