Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse with Duel Handbrakes?

Anyone do the Rekluse, then put the rear brake on the left bar? Moving the hotstart and 2 finger clutch?? Also, completly remove the foot-rear brake??? I think I want to go this route, but would like some input from someone that has done it.........

I did this on my previous machine, a KX-500. I had a custom EFM auto clutch and moved my rear brake up on the clutch side. It worked great and gave me more control over the rear brake than with my foot. :ride: I haven't installed an auto clutch on my Husaberg because it simply doesn't need it. You can operate the clutch with one finger and the bike pulls cleanly down to idle. :thumbsup:

I got to ride a yzf450 with rekluse and a hand brake it still had the foot pedal

it worked really well anywhere I wanted to be on the brakes and have my foot out. rocky singletrack downhills with a right turn.

crf 450 r & x 2 rekluse

I rode a bike with the Revloc setup and handbrake in place of the clutch lever. The rear brake pedal was still in place and functional. It was nice to have a choice of levers handy. I've also seen autoclutch setups with clutch and brake levers on the left side.

I've had two bikes with the auto clutch and hand operated rear brake. In my opinion, it's the only way to go. It's almost like cheating.

Think "mountain bike" while riding and you will soon adjust to a hand operated rear brake. Also, no one else will want to borrow your bike since they won't be familiar with the brake. It takes about 2 or 3 rides to get used to, but after that, you will be much faster. Rear brake control is much more precise with the hand brake.

I got my handbrake kit right from Garry at EFM. I don't have his web address, but maybe google will come up with it. Like anything else with dirtbikes, they ain't cheap. but, they do work perfect and use real brake fluid. Don't try using a hydraulic clutch unit, they work on mineral oil and not brake fluid.

Hey! Here's the link:

http://www.efmautoclutch.com/

i just got my rekluse installed last week and my mechanic encouraged me to still use the clutch as much as because it would lengthen the life of the clutch. How necessary is this?

I'd like to put the hand brake on but then don't I have to eliminate my clutch lever?

Ive ran with a Rekluse & rear bar mounted brake now for the last 2yrs

on my YZ426 then on a CRF250x and i`ll be doing it all again this week

on my new 450x

once you get in to it you`ll never go back again

I don't know about rekluse, but the EFM won't wear out the clutch parts any faster than you would with a hand operated clutch. It's like having at little Jeff Fredette sitting on your handlebars, working your clutch lever for you. just think; dump the bike over and it won't stall, just stand it back up, hop on and twist the throttle. Doesn't matter what gear, it'll slip and pull you out of where ever you are until you can up or downshift as needed. Enduro starts? In gear, kick and hold the throttle, it starts easy in gear and will hole shot everyone else on your minute.

You still have engine braking unless you don't want it. In that case, just lock up the rear wheel brake and when the engine drops to idle (remember, you CAN'T stall the bike with a locking brake slide) the clutch will do it's thing and you just free wheel until you blip the trottle again.

I put the Rekluse on my 450X, along with moving the rear brake to the handlebars.

You DO NOT need to move the Hotstart. The Rekluse folks say you must purchase their Hot Start Lever kit ($100) when using any of their Rear Brake Kits, but that's not true. I was able to mount the Rear Brake Kit and the stock Hot Start Lever on the left-side of the handlebars by just moving things around a little. See photo of handlebars.

Handlebars:

IMG_1523.jpg

Rekluse (no rear brake pedal):

IMG_1508.jpg

I put the Rekluse on my 450X, along with moving the rear brake to the handlebars.

You DO NOT need to move the Hotstart. The Rekluse folks say you must purchase their Hot Start Lever kit ($100) when using any of their Rear Brake Kits, but that's not true. I was able to mount the Rear Brake Kit and the stock Hot Start Lever on the left-side of the handlebars by just moving things around a little. See photo of handlebars.

Handlebars:

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

ah the good ole days.. I remeber when my bike looked like that.

as for the rekulse, I never went with the dual handbrake set up, I wanted to have the clutch lever incase of a run-away (stuck throttle) There would be no back up and I was never sure I could find the stop button in time.

I haven't had any problems though, makes it easier but I dont trust it on long rides for some reason. Prob will take it out soon.

Handlebars:

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

Just a little FYI....

That 'hot start' lever will turn into a "thigh opener" in a matter of seconds ... hence the reason they ask you to use theirs.

I'd rather move mine (as it's rarely used) out of the way then place it where it could do some gnarly bodily harm.

I've yet to try a Rekluse... but I'm sure curious for the tight woodsy stuff (our local hare scrambles in Baja). It's almost like cheating. :applause:

:thumbsup:

That 'hot start' lever will turn into a "thigh opener" in a matter of seconds ... hence the reason they ask you to use theirs.
I disagree. The Rekluse Hot Start Lever is in the exact same position, just on the right side:

hotstart.jpg

I disagree. The Rekluse Hot Start Lever is in the exact same position, just on the right side:

hotstart.jpg

Did you not look at his picture(s)? Wonder why the Rekluse is a short stubby thing? Or do this; measure the distance between h-bar and end of lever .... or here, see the difference;

hotstart-compare.jpg

And I know it's okay to disagree. I never said my way is right... just LOTS safer hence the short stubby lever.

see the difference;

hotstart-compare.jpg

Looking at that photograph, there's not enough difference between the two to warrant arguing about it. I'm beginning to wonder if you're a Rekluse salesman :thumbsup:

On a side note, I believe the Rekluse Hot Start Lever also requires that you then move the start button to the left-side, another issue altogether.

If you sat on this bike in person, you'd probably agree that there's nothing to be concerned about.

To the guy that's thinking about doing this, give it a try by rotating your stock Hot Start lever so it's pointing down. If you then think it's a concern, you can buy the Rekluse lever. Otherwise, you'll be happy to keep your stock lever, stock start button, and save $$.

Looking at that photograph, there's not enough difference between the two to warrant arguing about it. I'm beginning to wonder if you're a Rekluse salesman :applause:

If you sat on this bike in person, you'd probably agree that there's nothing to be concerned about.

LoL... nope... not a salesman.

Just a concerned citizen. I don't like to see things that are a bit of a surgeon's knife. Kind of like how guys will lop off the end of a lever instead of buying the correct hand guards or shorty levers (and then they argue it's still safe). Like I said - It's okay to disagree. :applause:

... make sure you put a zip tie around the top of that RAM mount (and mounted G60) too. If you get it right, you'll also use the xip tie to hold the 12V connector into the G60. I also use a lanyard as a precaution, wrapping it around the hand guard.

All from experience.... trust me on these pointers. :applause:

Enjoy that bike... I've enjoyed mine, they're great machines!

:thumbsup: