Sign in to follow this  

riding in snow

i have been watching some videos of guys riding in snow. when i was younger(15years ago), i tried a few times, but when i would turn the bike would slide and i would fall over. i could not get any speed on a straight or it felt very unstable. anyway i am going to try it this winter. what tires should be used for winter woods riding? here in pa the ground is frozen hard most of the winter, but there is an occasional thaw. would i use a int/hard for the frozen ground, soft mud tire to get traction in snow? right now i run d756 front, m12 rear. they seem to do well in different terrain. i just wasn't sure about adding a slippery, wet, cold surface like snow. any tips?

Way back when I lived in southern Ohio, I would ride in the snow all the time on my RM125. It was a blast! But I couldn't have told you even back then what tires I was running unless I actually looked at them...go with your current tires and take it from there.

they make spikes that you can screw into the knobs on each tire. it's simliar to a studded track on a snowmobile. The only downside is that you lose an averge of 3 studs for every hour or riding

they make spikes that you can screw into the knobs on each tire. it's simliar to a studded track on a snowmobile. The only downside is that you lose an averge of 3 studs for every hour or riding

dont studs only help you if your on the ice? im pretty thats right. i wouldnt get diff. tires. its only gonna be snowing for 1 season so dont buy tires for it.

I actually find that the deeper the snow, the less you fall over? like if theres 4 inches of snow, its just slippery. but if theres like a foot of snow, it kinda holds you up. kinda.

Make some snow tires. These things go in any depth of snow, so long as it is not heavy wet snow that is real deep. I made this rear tire about 5 years ago, I run it every winter. Use 1 1/4" x 12 panhead screws out through the knobs, predrill them or it will never work. Then use an old tube as a tube liner around your tube, go smoke some snowmobiles.

CR250winter.jpg

RearTire.jpg

The front is just 3/4"x10 hex head screws, screwed in for alittle added traction. Don't bother with hex heads in the rear they just pull out.

You will definetely want studded tires. Just buy a bag of ATV ice screws and drill them into the lugs on your tire.

Im not sure who makes it, but Ive seen some bikes have a ski that bolts to the bottom of the fork and it supposed to help with flotation in deeper snow.

I very much doubt you will be able to "smoke some snowmobiles" (I owned snowmobiles for 13 years and sleds are crazy fast), but you should be able to at least get out of the house an enjoy the winter months on your bike.

another thing that works if you stud them, get ur hands on an old street tire, cut off the sidewalls and stuff that inside... works like a charm. For mine, i just went to the local tire dump and found some used ones... next stop, studs! (both look brand new, the rear used to be studed, it's a bit street oriented though) but figure it this way, ur not gonna get much traction no matter what you do unless you got something frozen for those studs to bite.

i saw a guy who did a really nice job on his tires post all these pictures and i think maybe some videos of his work. he put some really thick screws, nuts, and a type of glue on each knob. i remember is was working so well he was digging ruts in the frozen earth because the tire was cutting down thru the snow into the ground and he said it had crazy acceleration and breaking power now. i beleive it was on a honda. ive been searching for the thread on here for a while but cant find it. if anyone can find that it be awesome because thats what i wanna do.

i saved the stock tires off the bike. so i think i will try to come up with something to make some studs in those. thank you for the replies.

Make some snow tires. These things go in any depth of snow, so long as it is not heavy wet snow that is real deep. I made this rear tire about 5 years ago, I run it every winter. Use 1 1/4" x 12 panhead screws out through the knobs, predrill them or it will never work. Then use an old tube as a tube liner around your tube, go smoke some snowmobiles.

CR250winter.jpg

RearTire.jpg

Oh man just LOOKING at those tyres makes me feel cold. It doesn't snow here but it does get bloody cold. I think the temperatures plummeted to around 15 degrees Celcius (59 Fahrenheit) this last winter gone. Gee it was a hard winter (yes we do have it tough in Queensland).

Meatbomb........

ice racing studs work good and thay stay in longer if you load them up on each knob, but if the winter is longer than the summer and the snow is deep you can buy a track and ski 4 ur bike by attrax for 1000 to 1500.00 canadian i haven't used one yet but i will this winter

Oh man just LOOKING at those tyres makes me feel cold. It doesn't snow here but it does get bloody cold. I think the temperatures plummeted to around 15 degrees Celcius (59 Fahrenheit) this last winter gone. Gee it was a hard winter (yes we do have it tough in Queensland).

Meatbomb........

I hope you are being sarcastic because 59 Fahrenheit is pretty warm not hot but warm enough to not need a jacket try 20 below 0 Fahrenheit now that is cold

I hope you are being sarcastic because 59 Fahrenheit is pretty warm not hot but warm enough to not need a jacket try 20 below 0 Fahrenheit now that is cold

LOL Not sarcastic; 59F is considered to be quite COLD here (actually it does go down a bit more at night). dontcha just wish you lived in Australia :-)

PS if you DO want to live/work in Australia send me a PM - that's what I do for a living (getting visas not PMing).

Meatbomb..........

Meatbomb........

Laughing my a** off at that one. Ironically it's exactly 59 Fahrenheit here this morning. And it's still summer time though a cool morning for this time of year. That's perfect riding weather.

As for tires, go here http://winterstuds.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=W&Category_Code=T

Click on any of the pictures to see a larger view of the tires.

If you are going to ride in snow, this is the way to go.

has anybody every tried a sand tire with paddles for in softer deeper snow? not for racing or anything, just out screwing off in the snow. i've always wondered if it'd work very good

I'd imagine that a paddle would dig down and give pretty good traction till you dig down to the frozen dirt, and the paddles come off, then you wasted all that money on a bald tire... that would suck :thumbsup::applause:

The paddle part "might" work in deep snow but along with snow there is ice. I can just see you trying to make a turn with the paddle tire once you hit an icy spot. :thumbsup: