Sign in to follow this  

Skid plates and servicebility?

I'm looking at the Tonnes plate for my 06S and I'm wondering what kind of routine service issues there may be with this or other skid plates? oil and filter changes frame drain plug etc etc?

I have the Tonns plate and the only service issue I've run into is during oil changes. Access to the plugs are fine, just tends do redirect the oil onto the plate if the bike is on the kickstand. If you don't have a bike stand, be prepared to catch oil on the backside of the plate. No problems with the filter.

You will have to remove the plate if you need access to the oil screen and water pump though.

Later...

I have the White Brother skid plate and remove it with each oil change. Its easier and doesn't really add any time to the job.

Its well worth the 5 seconds to take out 5 bolts for the protection.

We also pull the skid plates to chenge oil..Its real simple.

Just finished changing my oil about 20 minutes ago. Left the Tonn's skidplate on and caught the oil in my recycling container. Dripped on the skidplate some and cleaned that with brake cleaner.

Faster for me that way.

Took approx. 20 minutes

I have the White Brother skid plate and remove it with each oil change. Its easier and doesn't really add any time to the job.

Its well worth the 5 seconds to take out 5 bolts for the protection.

I have white bros on mine I just remove it to change oil.

I think that any skid plate will catch oil out to the frame drain plug.

Shawn

Thanks....I don't see the Tonnes in the TT store

Thats because it's not. Tonn is a TT user that came here, decided to build a skid plate for his bike, then turn it into a side biz. If I remember right,, he decided not to advertise with TT. His friends push the retail product when ever the topic comes up.. Those that have bought into the more is better, really like the TONN's skid plate. It is supreme overkill... On a heavy bike,, I suppose, why not go with a heavy skid plate :thumbsup: