Sign in to follow this  

Engine Mods

My bike is completely stock. What mods are being done to 06 RMZ 450's.

AP mod, Chm exhaust, porting, different valves and cams? Please give me some feedback on what those of you with mods like. What should not be done would also be nice.

My bike is completely stock. What mods are being done to 06 RMZ 450's.

AP mod, Chm exhaust, porting, different valves and cams? Please give me some feedback on what those of you with mods like. What should not be done would also be nice.

The 06 RMZ-450 can be made to run very well with a few things. First get rid of the stock exhaust for anything else, we run a Rocket Exhaust as I am not a fan of titanium and it works well for the money. Also a high compression piston helps tremendously. There were some obvious things on our head that I corrected myself but should not need head work unless you have the money to spend. I have not tried cams as the motor was much better already, the exhaust alone may make you happy. As for the AP mod you probably don't need to worry, the carb people have been aware of the problem and I think they have it worked out over some of the earlier carbs. Hope this helps.

It had to do with the shape of the intake and since this is the only RMZ I have seen would rather not state something that may not be true of all.

You want your 450 to go faster or handle better? The 450s are pretty fast already. I'd say fit the bike first, bars, grips, tires, suspension, etc., get comfy on it before you start mods on the motor. Everyone always talks about pipes but you need to watch your noise level. Loud is bad. Loud is getting to be really bad in some areas so much we are losing riding areas because of noise. If you get a pipe and muffler, be a friend and go quieter. The 450s for most people already have more power than they can use.

Just some thoughts...

justarider thanks for the opinion. I have done tires, suspension works very well, changed the bars and grips.

I am a fairly aggressive rider and just think the bike needs to rev quicker so that is kinda what i am after with the mods.

Was looking at the CHM pipe but as you mentioned they are about the loudest pipe out. Not good. I am very aware of the noise problems. I am a member of a motocross club in MI.

So anyways just looking for quick crisp response especially when coming out of a sandy corner and there is a double. I ride in MI which is almost all sand.

Hey man.

I got a Pro Circuit T4 muffler, this gave me much more top end revving power without any sacrifice. I think the stock muffler is really crap.

I also use a Boyesen QuickShot because the carby tended to cause the bike to stall/bog in the corners when you snapped the throttle open. Im sure this can be fixed with some fancy jetting but the QS worked well form me.

Make sure you find the gearing that is right for you, I went up a tooth on the rear, but it depends when you are riding as I do a fair bit of hill climbs down here.

Why did you replace the stock bars/grips? I personally love them. I used to have an 06 RM250 that had the same bars/grips so I really like them.

You want your 450 to go faster or handle better? The 450s are pretty fast already. I'd say fit the bike first, bars, grips, tires, suspension, etc., get comfy on it before you start mods on the motor. Everyone always talks about pipes but you need to watch your noise level. Loud is bad. Loud is getting to be really bad in some areas so much we are losing riding areas because of noise. If you get a pipe and muffler, be a friend and go quieter. The 450s for most people already have more power than they can use.

Just some thoughts...

THATS RIGHT I AM AN AGESSIVE TRAIL RIDER AND MY Z IS STOCK. WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE...I WOULD JUST WANT TO QUIET THE NOISE DOWN .

justarider thanks for the opinion. I have done tires, suspension works very well, changed the bars and grips.

I am a fairly aggressive rider and just think the bike needs to rev quicker so that is kinda what i am after with the mods.

Was looking at the CHM pipe but as you mentioned they are about the loudest pipe out. Not good. I am very aware of the noise problems. I am a member of a motocross club in MI.

So anyways just looking for quick crisp response especially when coming out of a sandy corner and there is a double. I ride in MI which is almost all sand.

Which club? Where at?

Why do you need to quiet the noise down?

I prefer mine louder.

My brother has a CRF 450 @ 490cc with full GP PCTi system... now that is loud :thumbsup:

Why do you need to quiet the noise down?

Because our neighbors are people, not kangaroos.