Sign in to follow this  

Picking up New '06 YZ250. Anything I should know?

I will be picking up a new 06 YZ250 2 stroke this Monday. I thought the deal was just too good to pass up. $4500+tax. Is there anything I should know about the bike before I starting riding? My main question is the jetting fairly good stock? I live in Ohio. I know some 2 stroke can be picky and foul plugs. I would like to avoid that problem, if there is a history with this bike fouling plugs. I am sure the bike will have more than enough power, so I will not need any performance upgrades.

How is the realiability of the YZ250 engine? How many hours can I get out of the engine before a rebuild?

Thanks for any help.

That is a good deal. You will have to ride it and see how jetting is, how the bike runs with the stock jetting. I had to re-jet my 450 (I'm in Michigan), but thats a entirely different bike. The stock chain sucks, buy a new one when you buy the bike, this way you can keep the stock sprockets on and save some money. The stock front tire is pretty crappy too, but try it out first, see how you feel with it. Regina ORN6 or DID ERT2 Gold are both great chains. The YZ Engine is solid, are you going to be racing hardcore, or just a weekend warrior? If not racing too hard, just replace the rings maybe once a year, it should last fine. Definitely go through the steering stem bearings, linkage, wheel bearings, etc...and PACK THEM with lithium waterproof grease, mine came with NONE! I could link you to a few good links from TWMX on how to do this, if you need to know how.

Have fun.

Depending on how hard you ride, you can go from 20-60 or so hours on it (maybe more). The bikes usually come rich in stock form, you will really have to try it out to tell for sure. Also you will probably want to take it apart and re-grease everything. (Linkage, swingarm, steering stem, and wheel bearings.) Btw, congrats on the new ride. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. Yes, can you please send me the links regarding regreasing the bike.