Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400s lowering

I searched and asked this question on Suspension forum but no reply so will ask where I should have started.. I want to have my '02 suspension lowered by about 1 1/2" front and back. I'm 5'9" 165# ready to go and mostly trail ride, don't get off the ground much but hit some pretty big rocks and ruts on fast logging roads. After searching this forum, I've decided links are out and I will have local suspension shop do the lowering. Since labor is the big cost here is there anything else such as revalving, springs etc. that would be benificial at this time? I'd like to go into the shop with a little knowledge on DRZ specific mods when I drop my parts off. On the phone the shop said at my wt. they would just shorten the front springs to match spacers and rear spring should be o.k. but would know when seeing bike after I bring it back all together, any suggestions? Mark

Before you go to a shop and spend a lot of $$$ on new springs, look at the kublalink lowering kits or get a gel seat.... (let the complaining being from other TT members begin...).

My wife is 5' 9" and I can't tell you her weight or my next post will be about my ex-wife... But she is lighter than you. With the gel seat and no suspension work she can touch the ground. Not flat footed but comfortable enough.

I think the gel seat is about $150. It is not that uncomfortable if your trail riding, since you stand a lot anyway. Not the best choice for 500 miles on the DRZ however....

Kman, I tried the Corbin seat, height is great and width was even nicer on longer rides, would be even better for slightly taller person for sliding back on the wide part. The part I didn't like was the downward slant, it rolls your pelvic region forward and the boys didn't really like it much. I should probably send it back and have it raised a bit but just finished a 130 mile off and on road ride with stocker and had no complaints other than height. I'm going to avoid links, I don't want to mess up the geometry I have so that's why I'm willing to spend a bit to get lowered the same front and rear, thanks for input. Mark

I went with lowering links to start with, hated what they did to the suspension.

In the end I shortened my front springs (up-rated) and installed spacers to suit (50-mm).

The rear shock is a custom up-rated (damping & spring) which is 10-mm shorter, this leaves the bike 50-mm lower at each end.

I wish I had done this to start with, it is the single most important mod I have done.

Link to the mods.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

I agree with Neil, having my suspension lowered was the best thing I've done. I first tried lowering links, they destroy the ride if you are an aggressive rider. I've also cut about 1 1/2" out of my seat. It didn't make it any less comfortable, because that isn't possible. The Corbin seat slides you forward on down hills and braking bumps, the loss of control is scary. They offer a gripper fabric which would help, and they will shape it differently to elimate the slant, but you have to special order these mods. I didn't find it any more comfortable than the stock seat. Others disagree with me on this one. See My Garage for a picture of the cut down seat. PM me if you want to know how easy it is to cut it.

Regarding having any tuning work done to your dampers, if you like the ride now then don't spend the extra money. Just do the lowering bit. But if you have your compression dampers turned in all the way and still need more, than you have an issue that needs fixing. Some tuners will tell you that stock sucks and they can make it much better. I've tried that twice on different bikes. Both times they came back much WORSE. You will need to buy new fork springs, if they just cut your stock spring to fit the shortened internal space, the spring rate gets stiffer.

Thanks guys for info, guess I'll just shorten it up and leave it at that as I don't have any issues with dampening that I know of...seems fine for my abilities etc. Mark