Sign in to follow this  

Lack of knee extension following ACL recon

Hi doc,

I've been reading your comments regarding use of the contralateral knee tendon for ACL reonstruction. I wish my doctor was smart enough to do this back in 12/98. To this day I have the lack of full extension and on-going patello-femoral problem you mentioned from using the injured knees patella tendon.

Do you know a good exercise that may restore full extension to my affected knee? It almost feels like it is my calf muscles preventing full extension. Could this be true?

How much loss of full extension do you have?

Can you post a recent X-ray?

That is important because we would need to know whether or not there is arthritis.

(Unfortunately, your screen name leads me to beliieve that you all ready have post traumatic arthrits.)

Doc, sorry for being long winded............

Yes, I do have what has been called "minor" arthritis in the joint. My latest physical therapist, who has a PHD in physical therapy and is a graduate of the Mackenzie institute, was the one who noted that I had a lack of extension, she said the right (affected knee) was springy compared to the left at full extension. She said this was a marker of poor initial physical therapy after surgery. I have to say, I am a true "basket case".

I was not able to ride my dirt bike until one year after surgery due to pain and weakness on the affected side . The real nightmare in my ordeal is that within 3 years of my 12/98 surgery, I started having chronic knee pain in the ipsilateral knee! There was no injury that I know of. The pain in the "unaffected" knee has been far worse than the affected knee. In my quest for relief, I have had prolo-therapy injections, ART, multiple bouts of physical therapy, custom orthotics, visited all the big name ortho's in CT. , to little avail. The only thing that has made me less chronic is activity modification. I have not ridden a dirt bike in 3 years, although I still refuse to part with my 04 TE 450 with a total of 20 miles on it. I still have much difficulty going up and downstairs, walking on uneven ground, and you can forget about running. I am 35, 190 pounds 6'1 and a regular gym rat. I realize that for some time this has been a runaway soft tissue dysfunction. I know that weakness and substitution in my lower kinetic chain has led me to this, but man, I refuse to believe that I will never ride again. I WANT to teach my kids about the joy of riding a dirt bike, the freedom...Well at this point we are back attempting a good quad strenthening program.

Get me the x-ray, and pictures of your knees from the front and side views with the legs as straight as they can.