Sign in to follow this  

new noise developing

My 05 SM just turned 10k miles and I'm having a knocking, clacking, not really sure how to describe it noise coming from the bottom of the motor. I know this is pretty vague but does anyone know what I should be checking first? its loudest on the right side of the bike when I put my ear just in front of the clutch cover.

Primary nut coming loose!? Don't start again untill you've removed the case cover and checked it out! Do a search on "primary nut" to find out why!

You are right Neil.

I did not read all of his first post.

But the best thing is dont ride until you find the problem.

Shawn

But the best thing is dont ride until you find the problem.

Shawn

I couldn't agree more, DO NOT RIDE IT.

You must find this fault before runningor starting the engine again.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

I have stock ACCT but just ordered a new mcct and new cam chain today.....the bike has been ran a few times since I heard the noise, I had earplugs in so I wasn't really sure what was going on. if it was the primary nut, wouldn't it go quick as soon as it started making the knocking noise? I will try to stay off of it until I get my parts and can take it apart but its tough since its my main transportation.

oh, also, last time I adjusted the valves I dropped a shim down the camchain and had to take the right side cover off to get it out, the gasket was still good and hasn't leaked at all, is it ok to reuse it as long as nothing is torn or leaking?

I wouldn't ride it if it was mine, if it is the primary nut coming loose and you ride it you may loose your only set of transpo for a while. If you have to, reuse the gasket but since you have other parts coming :thumbsup:

oh, also, last time I adjusted the valves I dropped a shim down the camchain and had to take the right side cover off to get it out, the gasket was still good and hasn't leaked at all, is it ok to reuse it as long as nothing is torn or leaking?

I've seen Eddie reply that he uses a thin coating of grease on the gasket so it can be reused.

I had the same type of noise your talking about at around 900 miles.(tried to find post, but search disabled).

Noticed light low end knock, rode around 1/2 mi. to camp. Shut off bike. Started a couple more times to see if it was just me :ride: still knocking.

Took cover off later, P-nut was backed off a couple of threads. :applause:

If the nut backs off too far, the key falls out of the gear and the shit hits the fan(so to speak).

Don't take a chance, make sure it's tight. Locktite it while your there :thumbsup:

what size is the primary nut? I will need to go pick up the sockets tomorrow, also, what size is the nut on the left side of the bike?? thanks for the help everyone, im going to stay off of the bike until I can verify that everything is alright. It sucks though because in a week when my new cam chain and tensioner get here I will have to take the right side off again and drain the oil, oh well, better safe than sorry. this forum is awesome!

P/N is 27-mm, and the rotor hold nut is 26/27-mm.

Do not try and hold the rotor with the 17-mm nut through the removable cap, you must

remove the generator cover and use the big cast nut, the generator gasket is usually ok to re-use.

If gasket was greased it should, with care be OK.

I just had mine off to do the water pump fix and it was fine, didn't re-use it as I had a spare, but I have kept it for emergency use.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Do not try and hold the rotor with the 17-mm nut through the removable cap,

Neil, why not? I'm diving into it on sat the 9th.

Noppy

alright, quick update, primary nut was tight as ever, but the bike is still knocking and im stumped, anyone got any other ideas. one of my buddies that works on bikes says it could be the clutch basket and "fingers" rattling....

good luck

Sorry to hear of your problems

As Neil and co have said, dont ride it

If p-nut is tight and cam chain and tensioner are correct (and chain not stretched too far so that the links are hitting just above the p-nut) then the list of possibles is becoming very short.

hope it's not the con rod bearing like mine (same sound, same region, same diagnosis proceedure).

Clutch fingers will be dented a bit anyway but if they are rattling they will show a lot of wear. Does the noise go away when the clutch lever is pulled? If so, then it may be the clutch.

to check con rod bearing you have to remove the cylinder. You can then move the piston by hand back and forth to check for freedom of movement and/or excessive play.