Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Vapor Speedometer

I was considering getting the Vapor Speedometer for my 250X and wanted to know if anyone has installed on their bike. Thanks for any info.

2004 250X uncorked

nope, but most people here use a trailtech. the vapors are new.

im sure they are just as easy and high quality. just more features is all.

I'll have some feedback after the weekend. One of my buddies is installing his on a 450X today.

I am using one on my motard 06 CRF250X. Like it a LOT.

Installation was good and easy. I like having the temp gauge, tach, speedo, and milage all at a glance. I putchased their billet mounting kit too. Good stuff.

well worth the $

VERY good product! I have it on my CRF250X and love it! Kinda hard to look at while cruising down the trail, but it is nice to know how hott the bike is and what my speed is when I am riding on the road! I also like that it has an "hour" meter! And I say "hour" meter becasue it has an accumulated ride time that works as an hour meter!

I have one on order but it has been a couple weeks already and when I called, they said maybe they would have more by the middle of september.

scott_01_xr400,

Someone gave you bad information, I spent all week working on the Vapor assembly line.

Call in and tell them you were told by Jeff that they are in stock. Your order should have shipped.

I just finished installing the new trailtech vapor. It really is awsome. I do have to admit that I am not a mechanic but mechanically adept, and for a 2006 crf250x their instructions pretty much SUCK!!! After two calls to their tech service I thought I had it whipped so I put everything together and went for a spin. Unfortunatly their tech seemed to be about as familiar with the product as I was. After another call and speaking to a very knowlegable person I went back, tore everything back apart and got it all straightened out.Now that it is working properly I am very satisfied with their product.

Mykul, I installed mine last night. I thought i went OK except my tach is not registering. I wrapped the red wire around the spark plug wire and grounded the black like it said but it still does not register. tried resetting the unit with the red button on the back but still no go. Did you have any trouble with that part?

Hey Scott, That was the main source of misinformation i received from trailtech. You need to use the "alternate installation" shown on the instruction sheet. The spark plug wire is after the coil so it is low voltage, you need the high voltage section. You need to wrap the red lead around the black tube that goes down in the top of the cylinder head and attaches to the spark plug.I slid the water/dust cover down towards the spark plug end of the tube, wrapped the wire, and then slide the cover back up over the wraps.Hope the fixes your problem as that is exactly the problem I had. good luck and GIDDY UP!!!!

I am in the process of installing a vapor. Where exactly did you connect the ground wire for the tachometer? Not running a light if it matters. Did you hook the power wires up to the battery? Did you use any special ends?

When I wrap the red wire ten times around the black tube paert of the spark plug wire, I do not have near enough wire left to get up to where the computer is. Did you run into that too ? How did you get past that ?

Scott - You don't really need to wrap it around 10x. 4 or 5 should be plenty.

HBM - the ground shouldn't matter too much as it just helps to filter out noise.

I don't have a Vapor (yet) but have used other inductive pick-up tachs like this before. The wire you wrap around the spark plug picks up the spark pulse. Each spark pulse registers as an RPM. I've run other units without grounding and they worked fine so if things become ungrounded whilst out on the trail it should still work.

What's the refresh/update speed like? Does it update the rpm every second or is it faster/slower? That's what really sets the good units apart.

Scott, I just spliced a little more wire to the red wire to get it long enough , trailtech says it should be plenty long but that makes 2 of us that have had that problem

Don't get the Trailtech. Pay a little more and get the electrosport. Look in my garage for a pic of the installed 3915 on my DRZ 400.

Last night I installed mine on my '03 WR250F.

I had the same problems with the tach wire not being long enough, but as suggested, I only wrapped it about 6 or 7 times. I only tested it briefly (as I finished at 10pm), but it seems to be reading way too high (RPMs).

I'll check the settings tonight and see what happens. Might even check the ground, that might be causing some problems. Other than that I'm really impressed with the unit. Installs easily, it's simple to read and it has heaps of information available at a glance. :thumbsup:

And thanks Trailtech (and Jeff) for getting the unit out to Australia so quickly!

:applause: