Sign in to follow this  

where did it go?

Arrived at my mate's house the other day, kitted up etc to have a good long day out on the trails. We both run XR400's and both do our own maintenance . We set off, do about twenty miles when he suddenly pulls over and kills the engine. Seems it 'nipped up' on him. There was no oil showing on the dipstick, but with the XR's flaky checking procedure, that didn't worry us. Anyway, he gets a mate with a van to come pick him up and when he gets it home and drops the oil, there's about 200ml of black treacle sitting in his catch pan.

He said he'd only within the last month dropped the oil and filter, and the bike can't have covered more than 200 miles [uK miles, they're shorter than US ones...] since then, so where's the oil gone?

We looked over the engine casings, mating faces, drain plugs, oil seals, breather pipes and there's no sign of any oil escaping anywhere. There's no evidence of worn rings, valves or seals as the exhaust pipe is only lightly smoky.

This seems impossible. I'm left to think that my mate is fibbing about his oil-changing regularity to hide his laziness, as there's no way oil can escape without leaving a witness. Tell me I'm wrong.

Unless the oils gone out the breather hose, id say he is lying. If the top ends in good nick it shouldnt burn oil.