Sign in to follow this  

Cam for 280BB

OK, well, i've decided that im going to put a Athena 280BB in my bike in the near future and now i need a cam to go with it. Up until this point i was pretty much set on a Hotcams stage 1 for low/mid gains. Now after realizing that with the 280 kit i will see substantial gains in the lower end of the power band I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to balance it out and put a mid/upper cam in it :thumbsup: ? Most of my riding is about 65% fireroads/open trails and 35% tight east coast single track where i rarely see a gear higher then 2nd. I dont ride my bike like a MXer, i like to lug it around like a 450...hence the reasoning for a low/mid cam. However, when im on fire roads i do feel like im lacking a lot in the upper RPM range with the stock X cam. So, as you can see, im sort of at the crossroads right now and i'd like some help in deciding. I'd really like to hear from the guys that have already installed the 280 kit and even the TR270 kit. Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks a lot,

Chris :ride:

04 R cam is a good mid to top cam I recon in an X

Im my 307, I've tried a Hotcam, then an 04 R cam, and now the stock X cam. For the riding I do with this bike (strictly trails), the X cam is best. It provides a nice idle, great smooth low speed acceleration and traction, and very strong midrange, but it gives up some hit and top end to do it. The other cams were fun and they would be a little better on a fire road, but worse everywhere else.