Sign in to follow this  

New ride report on XCF and XCF-W PLEASE!!!

Guys I could of been going to pick up my new KTM today but I still can't decide on which one to buy. I ride mainly trails and hare scrambles and play ride on MX here and there.

Questions:

1. Is tank size 2.5 on both models?

2. How is suspension on both now that you got them broke in some?

3. Is it easy to dial in jetting?

4. Can I pretty much leave the bike stock and ride and race it?

5. How is starting when hot even with button?

6. Do the KTM valves use shims like the Hondas?

I should of just went and bought the dang thing today but I can't make up my mind so any good updated info. will be nice to have because I need to decide real soon or just keep my Honda.

Thanks

HSrider

Well i know what you mean. After agonizing over which one I picked the 450 XC-W. I picked it up yesterday. Both models run the same rear spring, but the XC has high speed Comp adjuster. The W has slightly softer springs in the forks but they feel pretty good on my initial quick ride. I ride at mostly 4000 ft or above so the jsetting seems quite good for me. No stumbles it rips. Tank size is the same on both models.

Several of my riding buddies have 06 EXC's and they race them as is. Thats my plan as well. I prefer the long stroke motor of the W as well a little more torquey and not so abruprt as the XC. Hope this helps.

Guys I could of been going to pick up my new KTM today but I still can't decide on which one to buy. I ride mainly trails and hare scrambles and play ride on MX here and there.

Questions:

1. Is tank size 2.5 on both models?

2. How is suspension on both now that you got them broke in some?

3. Is it easy to dial in jetting?

4. Can I pretty much leave the bike stock and ride and race it?

5. How is starting when hot even with button?

6. Do the KTM valves use shims like the Hondas?

I should of just went and bought the dang thing today but I can't make up my mind so any good updated info. will be nice to have because I need to decide real soon or just keep my Honda.

Thanks

HSrider

What model are you talking about?

450XC is big bore short stroke, 450 XC-W and EXC are small bore long stroke. Both are under 10,000 RPM engines and get by just fine with single cam, rocker arms with screw type adjusters.

250XC & 250XC-W are 13,000 RPM engines which requires twin cams, shim adjusters and Ti valves. A 250 without those design features is going to be limited in RPM and not going to be competitive.

Sorry guys I forgot to put the model I was interested in I"m looking at the new 250 four strokes, off-road models.

Thanks

Don't rack your brain deciding which one, they both rocK!!! You won't be dissapointed.

What's your weight and skill level? I have the W and it is sprung almost perfect for my weight of 155 w/o gear. I'm an A level enduro rider and the suspension is perfect for that but will also take big hits without harsh bottoming. The gear boxes don't seam to be that different. The xcf is described by KTM as semi-close and the W as semi-wide. If your heavier or your riding track more and jumping, get the xcf. If your riding mostly trails the W is awesome, although it may be sprung a little light for some heavier riders.

As for the rest of you questions:

1. yes, they both have the same tank

2. excellent!!!!!!!

3. easy to dial in. Couple small adjustments and I had mine running great.

4. Starts fine hot, even with the lack of a hot start.

5. Yes, but they are an oddball size. good thing is you'll probably never need them.

My weight is around 195 without gear and I ride Vet A and will be moving to Senior A next year probably. Might hang back and play in the Vet A clalss still. Thanks for the input. I mainly do trails and HS or GNCCs here and there I do some MX but I think the W would be able to handle that also I"m not a big jumper.

Will the stock tank last a 2 hr HS?

If I ever need to do a valve adjustment how much harder or easier is it then the Honda?

I think I'm going to just go buy one of these things and give it a try, I'm going nuts reading all the awesome reviews

:thumbsup:

Was it hard for you to adapt to the KTM coming off the Honda as far as ergonomics go?

How is your rekluse working out? You can't use the lever on the KTM's right?

Thanks

HSrider

I'm not sure the stock tank will last 2 hours. I'm not getting the best mileage right now but I know I'm a little rich on top and it needs more time on it.

Valve adjustment might be a little more involved than the honda just because there is 2 cams. I checked my valves at 3 hours and they were within spec so I don't expect to have to mess with them for a long time. FWIW, it didn't look hard to work on the top end. Access is so easy on this bike compared to the honda.

I took right to this bike like it was made for me. I really liked my honda and was faster on it than any bike I've ever owned, but this one is even better. I don't feel the need to modify anything, suspension or motor. Well I did get an EE seat, that was a must.

The Rekluse works awesome on this bike and you can retain the clutch lever without buying anything additional. I ordered the rekluse for an 06 sxf and went with their recommendations for settings for that bike and it is perfect. So good, I'm ditching the clutch and setting up a dual rear brake setup using the existing clutch master cylinder. I'm almost done and it only cost me about $30 to do it and I'll still have the rear foot lever. This is the ultimate cheater bike. Just buy it if you have the chance, the W is an incredible woods bike.

Well I guess the tank thing might be something to try. Did they resolve the leaky gas cap? I think they did.

Is it much harder to check the valves on the W?

What EE seat did you go with? And what jetting are you running on your W? You know in case I end up with one.

Hopefully if I get one I'll take to it as well as the Honda it is pretty comfortable for me. Even though my friends 06 KTM's I've sat on do feel a lot more jap bike like if I can say that.

So on the KTM you can run the rekluse and don't need the perch adjuster? What oil are you runing with it and did you have to buy a different clutch basket?

Well I might have to just get one like I told my wife if I don't like it or can't adapt to it I could always sale it pretty easy probably especially if I wait until next spring.

I'm all about cheater bikes at 41 going on 42 I need all the help and advantages I can get. Plus the button will be a huge benefit. Does the bike start easy when hot with the button and will it refire say if you stall in a turn before you come to a stop?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to make up my mind and if I buy one I'll probably drop you a Pm to get some more set up tips.

Thanks

Did they resolve the leaky gas cap? I think they did.

No, they still have the 1/4 turn cap and I expect mine to leak soon. I'll put the O-ring on it and wait for the billet cap from BRP.

Is it much harder to check the valves on the W?

It's just like checking valves on your honda only the exhaust valves are under the cam just like the honda intake valves.

What EE seat did you go with? And what jetting are you running on your W? You know in case I end up with one.

I got the EE super soft standard height but that was to gain a little reach to the ground. It is way comfortable. I'd recommend the EE standard soft or the Gutz comfort seat.

Hopefully if I get one I'll take to it as well as the Honda it is pretty comfortable for me. Even though my friends 06 KTM's I've sat on do feel a lot more jap bike like if I can say that.

Ergos feel very similar to the honda, not like the older euro bikes. Turns very well too.

So on the KTM you can run the rekluse and don't need the perch adjuster? What oil are you runing with it and did you have to buy a different clutch basket?

Correct, because it has a hydraulic clutch. No, you wont need a new basket.

I'm all about cheater bikes at 41 going on 42 I need all the help and advantages I can get. Plus the button will be a huge benefit. Does the bike start easy when hot with the button and will it refire say if you stall in a turn before you come to a stop?

I'm 43, senior A and I love the 4-stroke power and the button. The rekluse, LHRB, trials tire just make my job easier and less tiring. I need that.

You guys are selling me on this bike. I've decided I must have a button on my next 4 banger, so it's down to the new WR Yam or KTM. Keep the info coming.

KTM is so much easier to work on, going to the alum frame makes maintance so hard to do...

I agree my 05 CRF doesn't have a whole lot of time on it but my next thumper will have the button. I love the 250 four strokes and the power they put out just need the button and one that doesn't require a whole lot of maintenance will even be better. I keep my bikes in good shape and stay on top of the maintenance but I would much rather be riding it then working on it. Even though my CRF hasn't been to bad but then again I haven't had a chance to ride it a lot lately.

Danceswithtrees thanks for the answers to my questions.

I do have one more though if I pick up a KTM where is a good source for parts besides the dealer I buy it at? I've seen Munn mentioned but don't know if there are other good places out there for KTM parts.

Thanks again for all the input.