Sign in to follow this  

scrached plastics

well, my bike currently has no graphics on it and ive been riding it like that for a while now. ive taken a few spills and now my plastic is all scraped up an dull.

i have some graphics i want to put on my bike but i dont think they will stick too well to the scraped up plastic.

i'd rather not spend money on new plastics because i have better things to spend money on.

what kind of prep should i do to the plastics that will make the graphics sitck (good) and make the plastic look a little nice.

use CD repair liquid stuff. fills the scrathes up, then do very very very light sanding if you wish.

If the area the graphics will cover is scratched, just sand it smooth.

just buy sum shrouds there not that much....i know that prolly not all u need but thats is prolly the most important part of any graphic kit

well, all the plastisc is scuffed, including the tank. i just want to make sure the deals stick, i dont care how the plastic looks underneath

I have never tried it, but I have heard that "fast orange" hand cleaner works good. Ya know the stuff that is slightly abrasive. Good luck.

Eric

well, my bike currently has no graphics on it and ive been riding it like that for a while now. ive taken a few spills and now my plastic is all scraped up an dull.

i have some graphics i want to put on my bike but i dont think they will stick too well to the scraped up plastic.

i'd rather not spend money on new plastics because i have better things to spend money on.

what kind of prep should i do to the plastics that will make the graphics sitck (good) and make the plastic look a little nice.

Good suggestions, but the main thing after cleaning is to use some rubbing alcohol to clean all the oils, and detergents off the plastic. Use the rubbing alcohol liberally! :thumbsup:

The alcohol will then evaporate, and your ready to stick!

I would do some very fine sanding on the plastics. You may not get the real deep ruts out but it will score the plastic and help the decals to stick. Once you sand it (again...very fine paper), clean it real good with soap and water or a good plastic cleaner. Nothing that leaves a coating like Armor All.

Badly scrapped plastic can be made to look better by using a single edged razor blade and scrape the gouge away. This will leave fine scratches that can be buffed out w/ a polisher at low speeds using furniture polish as a lubricant. I have had good results doing this. Work slow and don't push down hard or you will overheat the plastic! :thumbsup:

Sand the plastic with 320 grit paper ( or 400). Then clean as usual for applying decals.

Mine were scraped to crap and now my bike looks brand new cuz of the graphics. Like NYMxer said , Trim all the loose peices that are sticking up in different directions off with a razor blade. Then you can sand, clean, and stick!

anyone else? cd repair liquid sounds pricey.

Your worried about a couple bucks for repair liquid, but have plenty of cash to spend on some stickers that will look like shit in a ride or two after you dump your bike again :thumbsup: .

Last I heard, stickers don't make you faster.

Your worried about a couple bucks for repair liquid, but have plenty of cash to spend on some stickers that will look like shit in a ride or two after you dump your bike again :thumbsup: .

Last I heard, stickers don't make you faster.

:applause:

haha, yeah man, its like 4 bucks a bottle at wally world. i highly advise pickin some up. i told ya its the best way to fill the scratches! do it!!

why do people care what others do to their bikes? i think he knows that graphics wont make him faster, duh!...he's obviously buying graphics so that he has a good looking bike and there's nothing wrong with wanting ur bike to look good.

i thought the dc repair stuff would be like $10 for a little dropper or sumthin.

do you think a buffer and abrasive compound would work? or would it just work it into the plastic.

actually, i just realized that i have an old fender that i can screw around with.

i'll reply if i find a good solution.