Sign in to follow this  

What bike to think about getting...

If my 05' CRF 450 seems a bit too much (no mods) and a 250 with mods is not enough? I've been ridng my 450 since April and it is often more bike than I want to manhandle on trails in the woods of Washington. I've ridden a friends CRF 250 with a pipe, Boysen powershot and JD jetting kit and while I like the handling of the bike it's lacking in power for the trails I ride. Any thoughts on what to look at? I'd like to stay with a four stroke.

KTM-300 or 200. The 200 would run circles around your 450 in the tight stuff but when it opens up the 300 shines. The 300 is the best all around bike a person can buy. :thumbsup:

You pretty much have the two choices...250F or 450F, unless you want to get into off-road bikes.

Too bad you don't live closer. I have an 05 YZF290 and want to sell it. I busted my ankle and it is sitting til next year.

Good luck in your search.

What about a YZ 400 or 426? It would have a little less power than the 450 you currently have.

If your into woods riding...you really ought to try the Husaberg 380...yes, thats right...a 380...awesome power, especially if your wanting more than a 250 but not a 450.

One bike in our Husaberg Demo fleet is a Husaberg FE450e with Factory 380 kit. You still get the 1 year warranty and the bike runs awesome. Look for your local or not so local dealer to offer a demo ride.

Great reliabilty, easy to maintain, fast, and awesome parts spec like Brembo, Magura Hyd Clutch, Excel, and lots of aftermarket becoming available almost daily. Scream it or lug, this bike loves to Trail Ride or Hare Scramble.

450 and just ride it more and work out... youll be glad you kept it

YZ/WR 400/426.

LOVED that bike for woods, and could still Moto. My 450 is hard for tight tight tight trails. I keep stalling it. This is with 11 years of motorcycles behind me and I still keep stalling it. Maybe try a Flywheel weight. I've heard this calms the "rip your arms off" hit.. but I haven't tried it personally. If you do go with the older 400/426 route, I think you might like it. Many of my friends own 400/426's and love them!

450 and just ride it more and work out... youll be glad you kept it

Exactly.

Later on down the road you will be buying a 450 agian, just bulk up, and keep it. It will be easier to bulk up and ride more than to sell it, buy another bike, not like that bike, sell it, and so on...

do you have the R or the X? I think that the difference in gearing would make a big difference in the oods. A lot less shifting on the X because of the wider gear ratio.

I have a wr450f and I recently asked my fellow TT'ers how I could tame the bike because I thought that it was a little too much. I got really pissed when everyone told my to exercise some "wrist control" and stop going so fast.

However, the suggestion worked. I have a lot more fun now that I go a little slower. What maee me much more comfortable though was to properly set up my bikes suspension so it wasn't fighting me. My wheels stick to the ground, no excessive wheelspin or washouts, etc...