Sign in to follow this  

removing rear wheel bearings??

I am surprised this is not a common problem and was not able to find info on this.

I'm changing my wheel bearings and I can not catch a lip on the inside of the bearing to drive it out the other side. :thumbsup: the spacer is keeping me from gaining access.

All posts say hammer and punch but what are they catching the punch against?? Which side first??

When I bought the bike a long time ago the rear axle nut was way tight... could that have screwed me up?? any help please before I waste more time. T :ride: hank You.

If you insert your punch or drift into the bore of the spacer you should be able to pry it side ways, this should move the spacer enough to allow you to catch the edge of the bearing. The spacer is currently trapped between the bearings but will move sideways, and once you get one bearing moving the rest should be easy. I find heat will do wonders on getting things moving, hope this helps.

http://www.oem.thumpertalk.com/2004DRZ400Srearwheel.aspx

If the bushing still will not move you can place a socket on the inner race only on one of the bearings and give it a good rap with a hammer. There is a little bit of play in the bearings and the blow should transfer thru the bushing to the bearing on the other side, hopefully making it move just enough in its bore to allow the bushing to become free enough to move.

Of course only do this on bearings that are going to be replaced, as they may be damaged.

Kozmo - Yes, exactly what he said. And I would try to remove the brake side single bearing first although you may find one end of the spacer will move to the side more than the other and I don't know which side that is on a DRZ wheel. If all else fails you may have to rent a blind bore bearing puller. It passes thru the bearing and expands into the chamfer on the far side. You then press out from far side or use a slide hammer or some type of a puller.

If the bushing still will not move you can place a socket on the inner race only on one of the bearings and give it a good rap with a hammer. There is a little bit of play in the bearings and the blow should transfer thru the bushing to the bearing on the other side, hopefully making it move just enough in its bore to allow the bushing to become free enough to move.

Of course only do this on bearings that are going to be replaced, as they may be damaged.

What he said. I had a blind pull bearing remover and still couldn't get a good enough grip on the bearing, because the ID of the spacer is nearly the same as the ID of the bearing. :applause::thumbsup:

I was frustrated and pretty much wanted to hit something, so I placed a socket against the bearing on one side and whacked it good once. That moved the bearing on the other side out a little and gave me some room.

It was a real pain before I figured that out.

Good luck. :ride:

If you can't get anything to grab on the inner race, weld them out. Stick a piece of pipe in the bearing that's close to the axle size and weld it to the inner race. Then smash the pipe (and bearing) out with a hammer. Just be careful.