Is it safe to change oil brands?

As some of you may know I just picked up a 06 yz250f(https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409209). The oil the owner before me ran is the E-Tech 100 (http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_ATV_2005/default.asp?p=887) That runs at 9 bucks a qt. at the cheapest I could find. And So for 5 qt.'s of oil It will run me $52.29 including shipping. I just cant afford 50 bucks for only 4 oil changes not including another 8 for a freaking filter. Soooo Is it "OK" if I change oil brands? I would probably go back to what I was using (bel-ray 4 stroke thumper racing oil), or do I have to break into the already broken piggy bank? Also I have one more ? about the 06... and I don't have a manual so I need to know a few things before I do my first oil change.

From what I have searched just an

oil change = 1150 cc's

with filter = 1250 cc's

Correct?

And someone said that their is 2 drain bolts? I have yet to take the skid plate off but want to confirm this so I make sure I get all the oil out.

Thanks in advanced! ?

not sure about the 06, but my 04 there is an oil drain bolt on the sprocket side(no need to remove skid plate) and another one up on the frame behind the front fender. I know this has changed a bit with the 06 since it has an aluminum frame. So it might be slightly different. I have never had a problem switching oil brands, just dont mix oil brands...do a compete oil change with filter when you switch.

Also on my 04 if it has been sitting awhile I dont need to drain both oil bolts. All of the oil has drained to the bottom of the engine so no need to drain the frame bolt, nothing comes out. But if you are doing it with the engine warm you will need to drain both.

Wait for someone with an 06 to post for more information, because things may be in different places with the 06. I know you have a window to look at for oil level and the 04 has a stick

not sure about the 06, but my 04 there is an oil drain bolt on the sprocket side(no need to remove skid plate) and another one up on the frame behind the front fender. I know this has changed a bit with the 06 since it has an aluminum frame. So it might be slightly different. I have never had a problem switching oil brands, just dont mix oil brands...do a compete oil change with filter when you switch.

Also on my 04 if it has been sitting awhile I dont need to drain both oil bolts. All of the oil has drained to the bottom of the engine so no need to drain the frame bolt, nothing comes out. But if you are doing it with the engine warm you will need to drain both.

Wait for someone with an 06 to post for more information, because things may be in different places with the 06. I know you have a window to look at for oil level and the 04 has a stick

okay thanks, yeah I had the same thing with my 03 where the oil was in the frame and everything. but its different on the 06 with the alum. frame so I thought I would ask.

06's also have an oil reservoir in the front with a drain bolt instead of a frame reservoir.

Regarding a owner/service manual - someone on this site posted a ling to Yamaha Motorcycle's Australian website. I looked quickly but didn't find it. In any case, the have the full shop manual on-line there that you can download so you'll have one.

I found it - just tell the dropdowns what bike you have:

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/ssl/